Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Got Pulled Over Today

Old 07-01-2008, 03:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robar
You know it's a fucking shame that some stranger doesn't get to come into your place of work and call you an asshole, insult you about a stereo type, or argue and cuss at you because you are doing your job.
When I worked retail, I had strangers call me an asshole lol.
Cops and donuts = stereotype? I don't think so lol I once worked at a donut shop and all the cops hung out there and got free coffee and donuts all the time.
Here in Michigan, You can pass by most shops especially at night and see a cop car in the lot LOL
Sorry I had to comment LOL
Old 07-01-2008, 04:52 AM
JK Freak

cops in ohio dont care about stuff like no doors. I drive around as often as I can stripped. I have been next to the chief of police in his cruiser, and he looked over. never said a thing. I went to medina ( one of the highest ticketing issue cities in ohio) and received a compliment about how the jeep looked with out the doors. Yes a ohio cop/statie will pull you over for speeding. but as long as you are not driving like a ass, they dont care.

I have received tickets here in ohio, for stupid things, racing, speeding, (not in the JK). But cops here dont really care about no top and no doors.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ZenGirl
When I worked retail, I had strangers call me an asshole lol.
Cops and donuts = stereotype? I don't think so lol I once worked at a donut shop and all the cops hung out there and got free coffee and donuts all the time.
Here in Michigan, You can pass by most shops especially at night and see a cop car in the lot LOL
Sorry I had to comment LOL
this is so funny....... maybe because it's the only place open 24/7 for a quick meal and coffee cause we don't have time to sit down for a real meal in case we have to respond to an urgent call to save one sorry ass like yours.... sorry I had to comment......
Old 07-01-2008, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most LEO in Pa will leave you alone about the doors,, unless they are bored or YOU are DOING something STUPID and its an easy ticket to write up.. I drove around in cj5 and 7's a lot and never got the door thing but once,, then when I said its a cj5,, didn't have doors from the factory, just canvas ones for rain they said ok and have a nice day.. Tube doors will most likely keep them off your back,, even better yet DONT GIVE THEM A REASON TO PULL YOU OVER!
Most cops even small town ones are good guys.. not all but most.. I ride a barely legal 2 stroke racing bike that I have just legal enough for the road.. had one st trooper ask to take it for a spin.. of course I did,, got no ticket,, just a warning to get better- read legal tires on it..
Old 07-01-2008, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No such law.

Hi guys.
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/vehicle_code/index.shtml contains the PA Vehicle Code. I have been reading it and still haven't found a door requirement.

The closest thing was a clause in chapter 4107 Unlawful Activities:

b) Other violations.--It is unlawful for any person to do any of the following:
(1) Willfully or intentionally remove (other than for purposes of repair and
replacement) or render inoperative, in whole or in part, any item of vehicle equipment which was required to be installed at the time of manufacture or thereafter upon any vehicle, by any law, rule, regulation or requirement of any officer or agency of the United States or of the Commonwealth, if it is intended that the vehicle be operated upon the highways of this Commonwealth unless the removal or alteration is specifically permitted by this title or by
regulations promulgated by the department.>

I would still take the ticket to court and claim that they are deliberately built to remove the doors, and the safety warnings claim no structural support from having the doors installed.

Chapter 47 contains Inspection stuff. It states that it is an "annual, enhanced safety inspection" and contains no door requirements.

Chapter 45 contains special provisions for bumpers, tires, tinting, etc. If there was a door regulation it would be listed here.

Sec. 4334 Rearview Mirrors. States that at least one mirror is required. That is new to me, I thought it was two.

I'll keep looking, but I think you've got a good case.
According to the PA Code, police officers are supposed to investigate to determine possible safety issues. They do not need to know the specifics of the law, that is for the Bar certified lawyers.

Good luck.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default What jurisdiction?

Originally Posted by GreenTJ_2_BlackJK
Driving doorless for 8 years-- finally got pulled over for it!

"Where are your doors?" asked the officer.
"At home," I calmly replied.
"It's illegal to drive without them, because they're original equipment needed to pass inspection... blah blah blah...yap yap yap"

Then he let me go--- I wonder, did he really believe I was heading straight home to put them on?!?!?
I see your sig says Lansdale, PA - What town got you - I got from Hatfield a couple of weeks back - I plead not guilty and go to trial on July 15th.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default If first you don't succeed..

Originally Posted by davidwm71
It's already been done.. and the Jeeper lost.
This jeeper is fighting!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default It would fly

Originally Posted by deconstructionist
I'm curious....

Anyone in PA try running around in an old jeep that NEVER had doors? Would that fly?
As the inspection code reads, if it wasn't standard on the vehicle then it wouldn't be required.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Ike
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Robar
You know it's a fucking shame that some stranger doesn't get to come into your place of work and call you an asshole, insult you about a stereo type, or argue and cuss at you because you are doing your job.
+1
Old 07-01-2008, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TT193
I pulled over a JK last week to ask him about the Warn bumper, Power plant and nice lift. We talked for about 20mins about jeeps.
great abuse of power

Quick Reply: Got Pulled Over Today