Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Got Pulled Over Today

Old 06-30-2008, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hilldweller
Luckily he wasn't stopped by one or else he would've gotten a ticket.
A ticket for no doors in Canton, GA? I've been doorless for about 2 weeks now....been to Canton several times without tham....no issues. I'm not the only doorless jeep around. I see 3-4 a day...
Old 06-30-2008, 07:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whpony96

Most Police departments set a quota for the officers each month.

I know alot of officers in a few different states. 2 officers that don't know each other ( one from Jersey the other from Florida ) told me the same thing about quotas...

There is absolutely no quota... however the department would like the officers to write a minimum amount of tickets to cover their salary. I know this probably isn't true everywhere... but to me it sounds like those 2 towns have a "quota" without having a set number.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep! I agreee!
Old 06-30-2008, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

I'm curious....

Anyone in PA try running around in an old jeep that NEVER had doors? Would that fly?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by davidwm71
I know alot of officers in a few different states. 2 officers that don't know each other ( one from Jersey the other from Florida ) told me the same thing about quotas...

There is absolutely no quota... however the department would like the officers to write a minimum amount of tickets to cover their salary. I know this probably isn't true everywhere... but to me it sounds like those 2 towns have a "quota" without having a set number.
I have a friend that is an ex-cop and a brother-in-law that is a retired deputy. While there is "officially" no such thing as a quota, there are "expectations" that, if not met, are followed up by really crappy assignments and shifts.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
I have a friend that is an ex-cop and a brother-in-law that is a retired deputy. While there is "officially" no such thing as a quota, there are "expectations" that, if not met, are followed up by really crappy assignments and shifts.

Pretty much what I've heard from friends/cops over the years-- the brass will crack skulls if they get too many complaints of speeders in an area-- and so they expect to see some kind of results for that area: if not then the shifts change and more are diverted to traffic enforcment until the 'general' flow of traffic related reports cool down. It dont matter what the ticket is...but its a way for the beat cops to show they ARE actually generating paperwork and revenue for the city/county/state.

There are of course the speed trap areas but I've heard straight from these guys over the years too that if they're working one they go for anything they can to beat the hum-drum of sittin' by the side of a road......

Its pretty much a thankless job-- but who's to blame if somebody gets hit, or a drunk bashes into somebody/something....... a lot of the time the very same peeps cryin' over tooooooo many cops are the first screamin' where were they when such and such happened....

But for the luvvvv of God--- I have NO idea how *No doors* equats to a situation..traffic, safety...or otherwise---- MAYBE some ol' timer will chime in and tell us all some sorded tale of how some drunk teen dating the mayor's daughter fell outta one and got runned-over THAT is aboout the only reasom I can see that they passed some kinda nonsense law like this.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I live in Philly, was in a wiffleball tourny with buds over the weekend, 13 of them are cops in the City. Had no doors or top, they commented how good it looked. Everyone of them said they have crime to deal with, not that kinda bullshit. Small towns need to generate income.
AND NOT ALL COPS ARE ASSHOLES!!

edit...also have had Wranglers(doorless in summer) since 97 and never have been stopped or questioned when stopped for other reasons.

Last edited by HUNTER; 06-30-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by motorfreak
"a windshield is not required in any vehicle" , however you must have a set of functioning wipers and squirters.So that means if i ever feel like totally experiancing the WIDE OPEN feeling by flipping the windshield down. Aparrently im allowed to.Friken eh!
Motorfreak- Sorry to say... the wipers must come off to fold the windshield!!!

~

Anyways... really interesting to hear all this feedback! Luckily, it happened a few towns away from where I live, otherwise I would worry about the same cop seeing me again (like someone posted).

To be honest, though, it would probably take a large pile of tickets before I change my ways.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RWA612
Wow, some cops are real assholes.
This guy could have gave you a ticket if he wanted to. He was probably having a slow day and was looking to pull someone over to look for something more. Believe it or not, not everyone who is drunk or has a warrant speeds or drives recklessly...sometimes they have to pull over whoever they can and hope to get lucky. If he wanted to be a **** he could have easily given you a ticket.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well shoot, I was planning on driving without my doors when I go to JeepFest in New Castle Pa. on Aug. 23rd

Quick Reply: Got Pulled Over Today