Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Got a New Action Cam for Moab This Spring

Old 01-11-2015, 03:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Got a New Action Cam for Moab This Spring

I picked up a Sony HDR-AS20 for $130 at Best Buy yesterday, in preparation for Moab this spring. I bought a suction cup mount for the windshield, and a cradle that lets you use it as a hand held camcorder. I'm looking for some kind of clamp device that lets you attach it to a variety of odd or awkward locations. For example, I may want to mount it at an angle that looks across the inside of the Jeep to capture what's going on inside the Jeep with me and my kids.

Does anyone know where to find good aftermarket options for mounts? This camera uses a standard tripod mounting base.

I'm looking forward to learning how to work with this neat little camera!
Old 01-12-2015, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd start here: http://www.rammount.com/

You can also find a lot of mounts on Amazon
Old 01-13-2015, 12:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Seems to me that one of these would open up the world of GoPro mounting hardware to you ...

Mini Tripod Screw Mount Adapter Monopod for GoPro Hero 3 2 1 Camera Accessory | eBay
Old 01-13-2015, 02:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks! I'm on that thing like Obama on a golf course!
Old 01-13-2015, 10:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious, was price the only reason you didn't just get a GoPro?
Old 01-13-2015, 02:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-FREAK
Just curious, was price the only reason you didn't just get a GoPro?
No. Value. I looked at a bunch of reviews, and I felt that for the money, this was the best camera. There is a Gopro for 130 bucks, but it didn't have the features this one had, and I don't like the blocky shape. I've also had many Sony cameras, and they have all been top notch, both in performance and in longevity. Also, the Sony has a glass Zeiss lens. I used a Zeiss scope on a Remington 700 in Africa a couple years ago, and it was simply amazing. I've also had other Sony cameras with Zeiss lenses, and they've all taken excellent photographs.

It would have cost me at least 300, and probably 400 to get a GoPro with the features on this camera. And for $1.25 on Ebay, I took away the argument that GoPro has more options for mounts.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually have both. For the price and quality, id suggest the Sony honestly. The youtube side by side comparisons show that they hold their own with the GoPro Hero 3s. It has amazing audio quality (blows the gopro out of the water). No lag when using wifi either. you can also go back and review your footage and pictures. Battery life is as good if not a touch better. If youre thinking about going to start playing with video, i suggest picking one of the Sonys up to play with. Theyre constantly 130 bucks or so. Sometimes Amazon or best buy will run a special with the waterproof case and camera for 135 (thats what i bought). I have a go pro hero3 also that i got for Christmas (thanks Santa) i love them both. If you dont care about money, yea, get a go pro. If youre wanting the go pro quality (or want to see if you even really need a camera) then catch a sony! (theyre cheap on EBAY too)

Quick Reply: Got a New Action Cam for Moab This Spring