Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Got a flat.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:08 PM
db1
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a flat.

Well, last Sunday I took the jeep out to wash it, and the TPMS indicator was on. Sure enough, I've got a nail in my passenger rear tire. Of course the tires are practically brand new, and only have 2200 miles on them.

My question is, should I put the tire back on in it's original position, or just leave it on as the spare. I've had the tire fixed, and currently have it on the tire carrier. I haven't even done the first tire rotation yet.

Let me know what you think.

db1
Old 10-02-2008, 04:33 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by db1
Well, last Sunday I took the jeep out to wash it, and the TPMS indicator was on. Sure enough, I've got a nail in my passenger rear tire. Of course the tires are practically brand new, and only have 2200 miles on them.

My question is, should I put the tire back on in it's original position, or just leave it on as the spare. I've had the tire fixed, and currently have it on the tire carrier. I haven't even done the first tire rotation yet.

Let me know what you think.

db1
I would say just keep it as a spare and dont rotate it in anymore...
Old 10-02-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

when i took a chunk out of the sidewall on one of my stock tires I rotated that one out safety reasons and put the spare in. Still havent had the tire fixed or replaced, the only problem I saw with switching it out is it was dirty and looked like ass on the back. Little scrubing and it was good. Its made to be dirty anyways.
2200 is not that many miles for a set of tires and if your worried about rotating out tread i guess it would depend on how run down your other 3 tires are.
thats what i think but its up to you in the end. does it really matter that much?
Old 10-03-2008, 02:55 AM
db1
JK Enthusiast

It doesn't really matter that much. I was just hoping to incorporate the spare into my tire rotations.

Just wanted to get some feedback.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

for a plug in the tread... i wouldn't hesitate to run it. rotate it in. i have not had a problem with a plug leaking at a later date. it either works or it doesn't the first time. i'm sure there are people that have other feelings. i say go for it. i'm running on a plug in my driver rear from a roofing nail right now.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

i would not worry about running a tire with a plug or a patch in the tread. If in the sidewall you should use it as a spare or replace it

I have run tires for years with plugs in them and never had any trouble. I seem to be a nail magnet, in fact just put a plug in my right rear tire this week for a nail.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Would not worry about running it with a plug. I would put it on as the spare then rotate it thru
Old 10-03-2008, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Pluged/patched on tread I would run the hell out of it and have done so with other tires on many occasions. If it were on the sidewall or missing a piece on the spare carrier it goes only to be used in emergency situations and as soon as I have the spare change I will replace it.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would not worry about it if it is plugged in the tread. I used to plug tires and they are made to be as strong as original depending on style of plug. You should be fine with rotating it in. i have never had any problems even while towing with a tire plugged on the rear.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:57 AM
db1
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the feedback.

Quick Reply: Got a flat.