Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Got in an accident :(

Old 02-08-2015, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got in an accident :(

Well...I smashed up my Rubi the other night. I had just pulled out of work, onto a main road (45mph). It was snowing, but only about 1/2" on the road at that time. I then saw a guy hauling ass in an apartment parking lot, and knew he wasn't going to be able to stop...sure enough slid in front of me. I had 2 options, t-bone him or try to slide behind him. I chose the latter, but thanks to the wonderful traction control I just slid into him almost perfectly parallel @ about 30-35mph. Of course, he didn't have insurance.

For how hard we collided I'm amazed at how well the Jeep took the hit. His car didn't fair so well. My steering is off though, steering wheel is 180* to drive straight . Both fender flares smashed, both bumpers need replaced, couple dents on front quarter, busted license plate holder and smashed up the rear quarter a little. I took it straight to the dealer...will see what they say all needs replaced this week.

Last edited by Havoc40; 02-08-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a bummer.. Based on the condition of his car and the lack of insurance, I'd have to assume hes been in quite a few of these incidents. Some people truly should not be allowed behind the wheel .
Old 02-08-2015, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

My thoughts exactly. He said he just rear ended his father a few days earlier lol.

I'm not to concerned about my minor body damage, just hate knowing something bent up front. It was tracking pretty straight and didn't see any crazy angles with the wheels, so I'm thinking I just bent the drag link. Hard telling. I really wanted to take it to my shop and throw it on the hoist before taking it in...but have something else torn apart on it right now.

The worst part is I have a PSC Brawler Lite bumper being delivered from Northridge on Tuesday that I get to stare at until I get my Jeep back
Old 02-08-2015, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

At least you might be able to get some chopped flares and rear bumper out of it! Maybe even some rear quarter panel armor
Old 02-08-2015, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

Talk to the shop manager, they will sometimes install new parts instead of spending the money for parts you will replace anyway. I do it for people when I repair for them. Tell them you have the bumper and there's no point in getting a stock bumper. Same as the flares. No point buying the stock flares for that side if you can get a whole set of aftermarket for the same price or something cheaper. Just remember that they have markup in the parts and that's part of their profit margins
Old 02-08-2015, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

Ya I was curious about all that. It's tough for me to have someone install parts, as that's the most fun and kind of what I do for a living. When I did the bumper install I was going to chop the crash bar and flip the e-disco. I want the extra approach angle without running the skid. But if they can use the difference in $ for aftermarket parts I'd consider letting them and do that stuff later. The only flares I'd consider on my Jeep are PSC...which aren't cheap. So that might be tough to pull off.

I was also reading up on diminished value claims. Just don't know how that works if the other driver doesn't have insurance? I do carry uninsured driver coverage...
Old 02-08-2015, 09:05 PM
JK Newbie

You could pay the difference if you are able to attend the moment for the parts you want. I did this for a customer awhile back. He needed a new front bumper, left flares and left Rubicon rail. So he paid the difference to get the stuff he wanted. As far as diminished value, it's up to you if you want to fight your insurance Co for it. Most of the time they will send you a lower value amount than the actual diminished value. I have a person then does that as a business they find out what the exact diminished value is for you and fight the insurance company if necessary
Old 02-09-2015, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know how you feel. I was in one right before Christmas. I just got mine back 2 weeks ago. But yeah ask if you can upgrade. I got to put new stronger axles and tube seals in. Just had to pay the difference.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:05 PM
JK Newbie

Update: Talked to the insurance company about the DV claim. Because this happened in Michigan (no fault state) there's really nothing I can do about it. Especially with the other driver not being insured. The insurance adjuster was supposed to go to the dealer today but according to the shop manager that didn't happen.

Good news is I talked to the manager at the dealer about upgrades. Said no problem with the bumper...so I can use that $ for other upgrades. I'm going to drop it off at powder coat on my way to work on Wednesday, and it'll be done Thursday afternoon. I'm swinging by the dealer tomorrow after work to see what the totals are to figure out how much I can spend for other upgrades. Initial dealer estimate is about $6,000 in damages.

Bad news, they don't know what is wrong with the steering issue yet. Nothing seemed bent and the frame checked out perfect (I guess that's good news). Said it could be something with the gear box, they're having the technicians look at it in the morning. This happened with one of my previous vehicles and it ended up back and forth to the shop numerous times. My fear is they'll just re-center the steering wheel and call it a day. I'm an ASE master mechanic and a mechanical engineer for an aftermarket performance parts manufacture. At this point I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and not mentioning my credentials, but they'll see the other side of me if they try to Band-Aid my pride enjoy. This is the first brand new vehicle I've walked in and paid cash for, and I'm kind of proud of that fact.

Last edited by Havoc40; 02-09-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad they are working with you. My steering box was broken so they had to fix it lol. How can you tell if they replace it? If the gearing inside is messed up they should replace it right. The insurance should leave it to the opinion of the dealer. The dealer shouldn't care. They are getting paid. Did you notice a vibration when you drove it to the dealership? I know when I got mine if it was in park or reverse I had a bad one. I asked them to loosen the motor mounts and go through the gears a few times then retighten. The vibration finally went away. Said the engine must of moved. I was like duh lol. So maybe have them check that also.

Last edited by templer; 02-09-2015 at 02:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Got in an accident :(