Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Gorilla glass windshield opinions

Old 11-18-2022, 05:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by karenlynn
Purchased a Jeep Gladiator in February, 2022. Six months later, a stone hits our windshield causing a crack from top to bottom. Jeep came with a 2-year warranty on Gorilla Glass, but GG claims it is void, because it is longer than 3 inches. Will never buy a Jeep again. Gorilla Glass is a joke, don't waste your money. Their customer service department lacks professionalism.
You'll never buy a Jeep again because of the Gorilla Glass BS? Come on folks. The marketing on that stuff is all BS but that has nothing to do with the Jeep IMO. Replace the windshield, move on. Oh, and just stick a normal windshield in there for $150 or whatever cuz guess what, it will get hit with a rock again at some point. If you think that is a big deal relative to everything that Jeep can do, then maybe you are driving the wrong vehicle for yourself.
The following users liked this post:
Sixty4x4 (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

Yep, we just move our heads around to see past the cracks and chips until we cannot see anymore then replace and start the cycle again. Cheap at $202cdn for generic. And never replace just before winter. My new one already has a couple tiny chips in it. But no sandblasting yet.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a chip in the acoustic glass on day 3. Safelight fix, I pretend its a bug splat.

Sadly some « low voltage problem » has sent the JLU into the shop. 23 days and counting. It was like every problem the JKU had before Jeep bought it back happened all at once. As a fan I went out and picked up a new JLU as soon as the check from Jeep cleared. Strike two.

My friends keep asking « Bronco or Defender ? ». If Jeep buys this one, I may stay in the box and take one more swing, so for now my answer is « Diesel or 4xe » but we’ll see…

Old 11-18-2022, 09:57 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

I don’t believe it’s worth it, my factory windshield has one long crack and 5 chips, i can still see well and none are in the line of sight, when it gets bad enough I am going with a cheap one
PilotActor (11-18-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

Didn't mean to offend you. I worked hard for my money, and now that I'm retired, I will think twice about how I spend it. The point is: If you are going to give a warranty, then honor it. I know Jeep didn't have anything to do with the GG warranty issue, but the fact that they sided with GG without even looking at the windshield causes me to not consider them for my next vehicle purchase.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default Er you expect different from others?

Originally Posted by karenlynn
Didn't mean to offend you. I worked hard for my money, and now that I'm retired, I will think twice about how I spend it. The point is: If you are going to give a warranty, then honor it. I know Jeep didn't have anything to do with the GG warranty issue, but the fact that they sided with GG without even looking at the windshield causes me to not consider them for my next vehicle purchase.
Primarily I am the CoolToys guy, next I am a car guy, third a Jeep guy. That said I have had a lot of cars, and no dealer or brand has been any better than Jeep. A good dealer might have tried to argue your side and get Jeep to cover it as my current dealer claims to be doing now. The reality is that every manufacturer is like this. I’ve owned Ford(6), Chevy(2), Saturn(1 🍋 ) Jeep(4) Jag(1), Mercedes(4), Porsche(1), and all have given me chest pain at the dealer while attempting to get warranty service.

Jeeps are different because they are a toy, a tool and transportation that can put a smile on your face and take you to place most can never go.

As my JLU hits the weekend for days 25 and 26 of being in the shop, and my neighbors are asking « Defender or Bronco ? », I am sitting here thinking about getting my JLU back or what the next one will be. Even if I get something else, my old CJ will still have the place of honor inside the garage. Unless I can find a good TY-L that is.

I can’t remember who said it above but if the windshield alone turned you off to Jeep, maybe it isn’t your vibe and you should find something else. If you do the other Jeepers here and I will miss you but a new friend will be along soon.

I hope you stay in the Family but if you leave it’s your choice. I mean its not like we are the mob or anything 😉.
seveer13 (11-22-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Ended up in the tail of a tornado with 7 other Jeeps in NC a few weeks back my windshield and frame took some kind of debris at high speed. Body shop got it all done and when I got it back it had a GG windshield installed. I was told thats all they could get at the moment so time will tell I guess. Was on interstate 75 south yesterday at 80MPH something fell off a truck in front of me and smacked the windshield hard enough that I pulled ovet thinking the worse. No visible marks anywhere, would stock or after market done the same thing?? Maybe I will update here as time passes I did notice the tinting was slightly different but I had front windshield tinted before and done again the day after I got it back so I dont notice it now.
PilotActor (11-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Gorilla glass windshield opinions