Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Goodyear MT/R's - give me your thoughts

Old 07-27-2011, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love mine, but have had balancing issues.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Love mine and have never had a problem with balancing or wear. I love them!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by highoctane
I run mine on Allied Raceline RT233 Monster beadlocks. High quality wheels and there isn't anything wrong with the wheels. I searched around the forum when I couldn't balance mine and it seems like an issue quit a few others have had. I'm breaking mine down to put dynabeads in to see if it works for balancing.
I'd like to hear if the dynabeads work for you, do tire places offer this service? I haven't seen it anywhere except people talking about them on here.

sent from HTC Thunderbolt via tapatalk.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bosox5

I'd like to hear if the dynabeads work for you, do tire places offer this service? I haven't seen it anywhere except people talking about them on here.

sent from HTC Thunderbolt via tapatalk.
Having beadlocks means I can do it at home. Air down the tire, pull the beadlock rings off, and throw in the proper weight of beads. W/o beadlocks a tire shop would have to do it. Alot of them can do it and even stock the beads. It's popular on motorcycles, though they use the smaller beads.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:54 AM
JK Freak

Thanks guys. I actually have a set on my Tacoma that is my beater truck. I've only had them for a few months so far and love em, but haven't had many miles put on them to get an idea of wear, future balancing, etc, etc. Also, wanted to know how the were on Jeep's as far as wear and driving and such. I will agree, they are great offroad and super quiet on the highway. I think i'm gonna go order a set for the Jeep tomorrow before the $160 rebate ends. Getting 305/70/17's. They are a little shorter than 35's, but the 35's measure less than 35" anyways and these measure just over 34"s so it's not a big deal to me.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TX2PR2SC

Shouldn't be an issue. Are they on properly? For example the big lugs to the outboard side and the "road stripe" to the inboard side?
It probably my cheep steel wheels.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrunosJK
Very Happy with then in most cases... Ice is a little freaky.

Agree with this.!! I've had mine for a year now. They needed balanced twice but have been good to go since. 15,000 miles and 1/8" tread wear.

They are scary on straight ice but as long as there is something to bite into they will paddle you along like a Mississippi River Boat.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by highoctane

I run mine on Allied Raceline RT233 Monster beadlocks. High quality wheels and there isn't anything wrong with the wheels. I searched around the forum when I couldn't balance mine and it seems like an issue quit a few others have had. I'm breaking mine down to put dynabeads in to see if it works for balancing.
I hope you just broke the bead on the inside of the tire instead of going through all the work of unbolting your Beadlocks! As far as the MTR's mine didn't balance worth a damn at the tire shop but dynabeads did the trick.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wecf

I hope you just broke the bead on the inside of the tire instead of going through all the work of unbolting your Beadlocks! As far as the MTR's mine didn't balance worth a damn at the tire shop but dynabeads did the trick.
I took the rings off so I could clean all the hardware and paint the wheels and rings. Mine still don't run smooth. Used 10 oz of .25 gram airsoft seamless bb's. I'm not going to bother with a tire shop dynamic balance since I'm going to get the same tires in a 37".

FYI I saw someone mention that they may be installed backwards. As per Goodyear, they are not unidirectional and can be installed narrow treads in or out, doesn't matter and won't make a difference.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:26 AM
JK Freak

They can be done either way, but with the tread inwards, the theory is that the open lugs on the outside will clean out away from the vehicle. At least that is what I was told.

BTW, I picked up 5 brand new 35x12.5x17's for the Rubi Now just waiting on my wheels and lift and a few other items.

Quick Reply: Goodyear MT/R's - give me your thoughts