Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Goodyear got me!

Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RAYBESTOS Part # FRC11887 = $37.75 + (core $56.25) = $94.04 Caliper
RAYBESTOS Part # 780519R = = = = = = = = = = $34.79 Rotor(x2)
RAYBESTOS Part # PGD1273M === == = = = = = = = = = $37.79 Pads
----------------
$201.41 Total in parts from Rock auto.

Duralast Reman/Brake Caliper - Rear Part Number: C849 Price: $46.99 +Core: $45.00 = $91.99 Caliper
Duralast/Brake Rotor - Rear Part Number: 53041 Price: $39.99 = $39.99 Rotor(x2)
Duralast/Brake Pads - Rear Part Number: MKD1274 Price: $24.99 = $24.99 Pads
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$ 196.96 - Autozone

Now I am sure they get $115.00/hr? In Labor (I guess that is the rate these days I do all my own work so I am clueless) and I dunno if you even saw your core deposit? Seems like the math is there and these prices are not "Jobber" pricing either .... just Joe shmoe walk in sit down and type kinda stuff.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't think the repair was unreasonable. It was your choice to say yes or no. It all comes down to how much your time is worth.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Goodyear is the absolute worst place to take any vehicle. Had a '96 Grand Caravan a while back which had its fuel pump going out. My aunt who was in town at the time suggested we take it to Goodyear on her dime, so my wife did (against my direct orders). They charged us $350 dollars for plugging it into a diagnostics computer for two hours and were "unable to replicate the problem", so they didn't even fix it.

Next day I called a Chrysler mechanic at their service center, explained the symptoms, and within 30 seconds told me it was most likely the fuel pump, for free. Turns out he was correct and the pump cost as much as Goodyear charged us for a dumb diagnostics. Put it in myself
Old 12-30-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you ask to see the broken caliper and say you want it back. They will return it for the core charge... Which you paid! I'm sure they did not pass on the core charge return money savings in your bill, anticipating you paying your bill promptly.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Goodyear centers are idiotic as are Firestone but we will keep it on topic with Goodyear.
I was shopping around for some Goodyear MTR' 35x12.50x17's and stopped by my local branch to get a quote.
They told me sure we can get them and printed me out a quote. The tire price was something like $100.00 more per tire than anywhere else +$30.00 for over sized mounting and balancing, and then the kicker was $50.00 per tire shipping charge to their store.
I was like WTF? You are charging me $50.00 for a tire you sell but don't keep in stock then charging an additional $30.00 per tire for mounting and balancing? I was advised "yes, we are independently owned and we set out own pricing and fees but if you buy we will knock off the mounting and balancing charge."
Needless to say they didn't get my business and never will. I would even go as far as having my Jeep towed 100 miles to another tire dealer if all 5 of my tires had been slashed right in front of their gouging store.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 PM
JK Super Freak

My local shop charged me $1700 for my 35x12.5x17 and I got a $50.00 mail in rebate and if I stuck it on a GoodYear credit card I got additional $50.00 off, then I just paid it off in 4 months so I got no interest charged before the 6 month promo. They repaired my tires twice since then due to road hazards for free. I guess it all depends on the tire shop
Old 12-31-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Incognito
Goodyear is the absolute worst place to take any vehicle.
+1

I decided to put a set of Assurance Triple Treads on my DD Toyota Corolla beater car. I had already planned to pay a little extra for road hazard insurance on them due to having a 600 mile per week commute. I figured it would be easier in the long run to buy them and have the work done at our local Goodyear shop. That way I was at least dealing with the same shop in case I had a problem with a tire. Wow, what a mistake. The guys were complete bozo's, and ended up wasting almost 8 hours (over two days) of my Wife's time while installing those tires and getting an alignment. They tried to dissect the whole car looking for little add on charges (air filter, cabin filter, brakes, wanted to fix a small oil leak). It was almost comical the way they went about it all. Well, that is except the absurd amount of time it took them to mount and balance 4 tires. I finally had to stop on my way home from work and chew them a new asshole in person. Amazingly, the work was complete within 15 minutes after that. The tires have been great, and I have put about 30k miles on them in the past year, but it wasn't worth the BS. The bummer is that I have noticed a slow leak from one of them recently . I think I might pop the bead and install a new valve stem myself to see if it goes away. I REALLY don't want to deal with those asshats again
Old 12-31-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by snopro269
My local shop charged me $1700 for my 35x12.5x17 and I got a $50.00 mail in rebate and if I stuck it on a GoodYear credit card I got additional $50.00 off, then I just paid it off in 4 months so I got no interest charged before the 6 month promo. They repaired my tires twice since then due to road hazards for free. I guess it all depends on the tire shop
Must have something to do with them being independently owned and operated. I guess the owner of our 2 Goodyear Centers is an asshole.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Freak

Set up four Mtr w/ kevlar shipped to my door for $1,187 and installed at local shop for $80...can't go wrong! The crazy thing is when I called a Goodyear shop.they said they did not.make a 35x12.50 in 17" wheel...oh well...the ones from Discount Tire Direct.look great on my JK!
Old 01-01-2012, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

GoodYear has been goofy to me over the years. When I ran a my landscape company, I used to get all my trucks fitted with GY tires. I remember they were fairly priced and I continued to do business with this GY dealer. This was back in the early 90's. I did shop them, but always came back. I had them do small service and sometimes brakes.

Now..... a whole different story. When I was looking at 35's, I called my local GY dealers and they were just outrageous, and have never heard anything good about their service. I shopped around and ended going back to Discount Tire, who has sold me 3 sets in the past couple of years. I don't remember the exact price, but they saved me something like $300+!

Quick Reply: Goodyear got me!