Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Goodyear got me!

Old 12-28-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear got me!

My rear brake left side was worn down and making noises. I went to Goodyear and to replace rotors brake pads and brake caliper will be 377 dollars that's with all discounts!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy did you get hosed! You should have tried changing the pads and rotors before taking it in. It would probably have taken care of your issue and only cost between $50.00 and $75.00. It's incredibly easy to do and would have probably taken you 20 minutes top to do.

The only way I could see the caliper needing to be replaced is if it had been squeaking for months and you put it off causing everything to wear out and need to be replaced.

Chalk it up as a lesson learned I suppose.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

THAT SUCKS SORRY TO HEAR THAT
Old 12-28-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man doesn't that just wind your crank! Some of these places don't have a conscience when it comes to treating customers right. I know that they are in the business to make money but they seem to want to get the whole weeks profit in one job.

My wife relates the story of an experiance during a hard period of her life before we married. A major shop told her that the brakes were worn out and drums had to be replaced. She was understandably emotional as women get and ask if it had to be done now as it meant not being able to buying groceries to get the work done. Of course the guy told her that it had to be done now and it was unsafe to drive until the job was carried out. A month later she was telling her brother about the situation and he looked at the brakes only to find that the required parts had not been installed after they took her much needed grocery money.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

reminds of when i replaced the ball joints and tie rod ends on my z28 and took it to firestone for an alignment and new tires, i hadnt left from dropping it off for more than 10 minutes when i got a phone call, the service manager urgently informed me that my car could not be aligned and was unsafe because the tie rod ends were worn completely out , i replied that was funny cus i just replaced them a few hours prior , there was stone silence on his end and after he stammered back on he said that they must have confused my car with another. some pricks are out to shaft people plain and simple , thank god in all my years i have only had to pay for tires and alignments , although i have aligned cars at home . people that cant do any work themselves run a real risk of getting dicked every time they take something in for repairs , complete brake job including a caliper ,bleeding fluid etc prob less than a 100 bux in parts and a couple hours in the carport
Old 12-28-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Well fist it was 159.99 for brake pads and then rotor for left rear was 80 bucks... Then a car later saying my caliper seized up and broke his tool, hey not my fault his tol broke and he said it needs a new caliper. Should ask tommorow when I pick it up to see the old caliper and the tool
Old 12-28-2011, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChopStix
Well fist it was 159.99 for brake pads and then rotor for left rear was 80 bucks... Then a car later saying my caliper seized up and broke his tool, hey not my fault his tol broke and he said it needs a new caliper. Should ask tommorow when I pick it up to see the old caliper and the tool
How is his tool your problem? I would ask for the caliper too. Wife took her car for brake work and they claimed all 4 needed replacement. Car only 2 years old so we called dealer to learn it was all covered under warranty. Told Goodyear to pull all their stuff off car and box up our old parts, dealer sent tow truck and we had her car back next morning for $50 for pads.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ChopStix
$160.00 for a set of pads?! ARE THEY GOLD PLATED?! I just priced out a set of rear pads for $31.19 and a rear rotor for $38.00 through Advanced Auto Parts.

I hope you don't plan paying for that tool and one could argue the tool broke or tech broke the caliper. It wasn't broke when you brought it in.....Just some food for thought. I'd say they're really trying to take advantage of you....
Old 12-29-2011, 12:25 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I told the guy whose a marine who is rude and said you army guys are losers from the start but hey I got thick skin and I know us military guys can joke around like that but civi world so,some would've complained on his ass haha. Yeah he calls me saying when he was putting everything back on the caliper seized? I was like well it didnt seize up when I brought it in. He said well what do you want to do. Around We went and I said what's my total cost and he said 377 withall discounts from the price of 411 he told me but, I asked him c'mon work with me het old me he gave me a lot off everything would've cost over 800 he said. I'm going to call Capital BS on this on. What should I do? Hmmm any ideas
Old 12-29-2011, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
The quickest way to take it in the butt is to pay someone else to wrench on your Jeep. Do you need directions to the nearest auto parts store?

Haha thanks guy lol

Quick Reply: Goodyear got me!