Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Goodbye mods

Old 08-15-2013, 07:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A smart cat once told me.......when you buy the best, your only sorry once. And that's when you part with the money. Buy quality products from reputable companies and you should have no problems. End of story
Old 08-15-2013, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

The hi lift is the Xtreme model or whatever... It was supposed to be coated in titanium or some such non-rusting metal... Or sounded like adamantium from the look of the marketing!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jhouse93
A smart cat once told me.......when you buy the best, your only sorry once. And that's when you part with the money. Buy quality products from reputable companies and you should have no problems. End of story
Amen brother, finding them is the new problem we have
Old 08-15-2013, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
Never pay someone to do the mods. Better yet never pay someone to work on your vehicle at all.
I would normally agree, but gear installs are not forgiving. It has been over 25 years since I have done one, and I would try pretty hard now to find someone experienced to do mine if I needed gears.

Although if (er...when) I wipe out my axle or gears I will probably just buy Prorocks with gears pre-installed.

Last edited by Yankee; 08-15-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskey Bravo
The hi lift is the Xtreme model or whatever... It was supposed to be coated in titanium or some such non-rusting metal... Or sounded like adamantium from the look of the marketing!
I have the same one. Unless I'm mistaken, only that winch clamp / spreader piece and other hardware bits are zinc coated. The main jack body is powder-coated cast iron and you should treat it that way: as something that will rust!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:00 PM
JK Freak

^^^what he said
Old 08-15-2013, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lol. Yeah, well at this hour everything's bedlined
Old 08-15-2013, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh and hilariously thats the part that rusted
Old 08-16-2013, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is the tubular light bar you mentinoed the one that goes around the windshield?
if it is, I was questioning the longevity of it when Rugged Ridge first announced it.

You take a design another company came up with, cut it into three pieces, connect it back together with bolts, and wonder why people say it is noisy and rusts out.

THe only noise my KMA lightbar made was when I had the holes for the wires open to the air. Between 30 and 45 MPH, the bar would whistle like panpies on the road. Now that I've plugged them, I do not get any extra noise from the bar.
Additionally, the only rust I had was from a sub-standard powdercoat (KMA ships them raw, it's up to YOU to get it treated), and the powdercoater was surprised at the result and made good on his product!

Add the fact that KMA made the bar slightly taller at my request so I could mount a kayak up there, and I'm very happy with my purchase. It's already saved my windshield frame numerous times from stones kicked up by dumptrucks, and from stiff branches on the trails.

if you really want a ight bar...look them up.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your having bad luck. Ive owned 2 jeeps. Both have their fair share of mods and I hardly ever have these problems. Even with some of the same products you listed. I live in Colorado. Winters here are nasty, especially with the chemical salt they put on the roads for ice. If you don't clean that off your jeep, your asking for rust..

A little maintenance and cleaning goes a long way as far as rust goes...

Quick Reply: Goodbye mods