Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Goodbye mods

Old 08-14-2013, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Inspired

Hope thee other two don't carry the same non-empathetic gene he does.
The other two?

...anyway, obviously you guys disagree, rather pointedly, with my being upset with mod companies over their dubious products... Or maybe you think their products are not dubious at all. What can I say, the ones I bought were for a large part falling apart right out of the box. Not sure why I'm getting trolled over this.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to Mod the heck out of and Wheel the heck out of my jeeps.. read my Sig Ive owned a Jeep or 2!!..

my 2013 will stay 100% stock except for some seat covers, a plug and play audio system (no wires cut).. and maybe Ill use the soft doors now and then..
a Stock Jeep is still a jeep and will get me through the snow, and through the easy trails on a jamboree if I need to, as well as pull the poor stranded driver out of a ditch in winter just fine...

if you wheel stuff is gonna Bust.. it just does... no not every trip out did ai have a catastrophic breakdown.. in fact I never was in a situation where my Jeep had to be flatbedded home.. I suppose people will say then I wasnt wheeling hard enough trails..

but I beat up enough Jeeps.. scratched the pretty new paint in the first day on occasion... heard more metal on rock than I care to hear again.. had fluid leaks, rust.. and skidplates that looked more like roadrash...

this one? my 2013 i bought it PURELY for driving around with the top down and doors off in the summer and for winter snows....and maybe a road trip or two for the rest of the rainy-day, city traffic jammin, grocery getting trips I have my Trusty Chevy Volt...

though I say this? I caved on all but my 2008 (it was a lemon never trusted it) and ended up wheeling some..

the only "tools" on the new jeep will be that to keep it looking nice and shiny and new (Till I trade it in after a couple years on another one..)
-Christopher
Old 08-14-2013, 03:14 PM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Seems like the biggest issue was rust and for this very reason I use raptor liner on everything. I have to say, every aftermarket part that I've coated and installed looks as good as the day I did it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M
Old 08-14-2013, 04:38 PM
RND
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Whiskey Bravo

The other two?

...anyway, obviously you guys disagree, rather pointedly, with my being upset with mod companies over their dubious products... Or maybe you think their products are not dubious at all. What can I say, the ones I bought were for a large part falling apart right out of the box. Not sure why I'm getting trolled over this.
The person who was not very empathetic of your situation was a triplet. I understand why you're upset. You put your trust into a company and their product and they dropped the ball.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RND

The person who was not very empathetic of your situation was a triplet. I understand why you're upset. You put your trust into a company and their product and they dropped the ball.
Ah. Well cheers to all of you who are keeping up the good fight. Or better yet to those who do so without having been suckered into the UPS addiction that got me :]
Old 08-14-2013, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Well shit happens and when it does make it better. Don't be quick to buy something with out researching and asking yourself do I really want this. Believe it or not some stuff just isn't worth having.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

thanks whiskey for making the thread, i was just going threw this crap myself trying to get ready for 35s (teraflex bb, now shimmy at 60-65) bought all sorts of junk to fix the problem i thought my install caused (RE track bar, track bar bolts, rough country SS). now being 17 i was like yea ill just do it a piece at a time but its just taking my money and making it so that ill break something on the HW one day. my solution you ask? this christmas im skipping all the tire junk i might come to and slapping on some 35 toyo mts, regearing too 4.88 and s/g it(4 wheel parts is doing it) and if the wobble is even a slight wiggle a RK 3.5 mid arm is going on. bumpers will be PS and gen right, and never again will i think "hey lets go the cheep wrought bc im young". the only cheap thing i think ill go buy is the ebay snorkel that copy's the AEV one, and thats just bc after my first mudding trip i took a month ago im now going to have to shave the rotors down and buy new pads for my breaks bc theres a squeel that i cant get to go away... guess whos never mudding again? i might go offroading every so often but since i did the once i keep finding scratches everywhere so now in a few years im bedlining the entire thing.... itll be one bad ass mall crawler am i right? haha

btw i went threw every DW thread possible torquing everything so please dont mention and or tell me i did something wrong, the mechanics that checked it out also told me i did a great job at the install.... weeeew

Last edited by Garrett J.KU; 08-14-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

I love my jk and enjoy the mods I've made. I agree that the quality on most after market parts are not that great. I have through my experience been shocked at how much better these parts are over the stock ones (scary). I have a tj, jk and hopefully get a scrambler soon. I'm not rich and I don't have the caviar quality products. But so far so good. I find myself getting angry like you and then later cooling off and making an attempt at a better fix. I invariably end up pleased with the outcome.

I think your point is, we shouldn't have to fix it to begin with. I agree whole heatedly. The point is that these companies should be held accountable and build a better product. A good product can be produced at a reasonable price...believe it or not. We can debate who's product is better or worse...but everywhere I go I here the complaints on virtually all companies..high and low dollar. And let's not even start on oil burning, wobbling, leaks and rattles from the day you take delivery.

These are not complaints, but merely observations of an old jeep guy. I've got to admit my love for these vehicles defies all rational thought and common since. I guess most passions do. Keep wheelin.....

Ol' Bob
Old 08-15-2013, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ol' Bob
I love my jk and enjoy the mods I've made. I agree that the quality on most after market parts are not that great. I have through my experience been shocked at how much better these parts are over the stock ones (scary). I have a tj, jk and hopefully get a scrambler soon. I'm not rich and I don't have the caviar quality products. But so far so good. I find myself getting angry like you and then later cooling off and making an attempt at a better fix. I invariably end up pleased with the outcome.

I think your point is, we shouldn't have to fix it to begin with. I agree whole heatedly. The point is that these companies should be held accountable and build a better product. A good product can be produced at a reasonable price...believe it or not. We can debate who's product is better or worse...but everywhere I go I here the complaints on virtually all companies..high and low dollar. And let's not even start on oil burning, wobbling, leaks and rattles from the day you take delivery.

These are not complaints, but merely observations of an old jeep guy. I've got to admit my love for these vehicles defies all rational thought and common since. I guess most passions do. Keep wheelin.....

Ol' Bob
Amen to that!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskey Bravo
Lol... Hey i'll take the criticism... Its ok. Yes, with my jeep i have become a "half empty" kind of guy. But i was not, just a year ago.

I'm not sure i can accept the "you bought cheap so thats what you get" line though. My rear bumper/carrier cost me a pretty penny... Cost was not the factor. Same for my Jack, which as far as i know is the best option out there. And i never heard bad about Warn winches, bestop doors, hellas lights or rugged ridge's light-bar...
Your XRC tire carrier and your front bumper are both Shittybilt. This forum has taught me plenty about their quality, and I do believe it's not what you spend, but who you choose to spend it on.

In fact, on this very forum I was lucky to win a giveaway for Smittybilt front and rear tube bumpers. And I was (and still am) grateful, they are better than stock in some ways (allowed me to upgrade my tires without rubbing the bumpers). But they are definitely not what I would have bought if I had the choice. After a couple of good wheeling trips, the front bumper is jacked up considerably because the quality of the metal is very low. And there is rust.

Anyway, a lot of your other purchases don't seem like the wrong ones, you just had bad luck. I would be on the phone with every one of those vendors as soon as something goes wrong, I've seen a lot of stories here from vendors who stand by their gear.

And yes, the Hi-Lift jack gets a little rust, but you should keep it oiled since it's cast iron.

Quick Reply: Goodbye mods