Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Goodbye mods

Old 08-07-2013, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskey Bravo

Thanks. Yeah, naturally it wasn't a total loss. Far from. I've had tons of great experiences and i learned a great deal (i never did any mechanical work before getting the jeep and now i do everything myself). I also had lots of fun and learned to love the UPS man.
How could anyone bash an eternal optimist?!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ahahah. Cheers. But I am quickly discovering that some Albertans have a deep hatred of all Quebecers... I try not to take it personally any more than someone subject to racism should, since it has nothing to do with who I am and is essentially just that, political racism (ironically since I probably frequently vote in a way that benefits his province and our shared country. Maybe I should apologize for being born in a certain place...).
Old 08-07-2013, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

...i didn't realize i had to spend more than 160$ on a jack for it to last one day...

Or more than 1.3k on a bumper. Cmon guys, i know it's not the 2k AEV one, but you'd expect a decent product anyhow. I wasn't in it for perfection, otherwise i would have spent 2k. But at 1.3 i think it is reasonable to expect a latch that stays closed and a system that does hold its own weight and does not hurt the other parts of my vehicle.

Sheesh. Common sense = "ok i'll buy the no-frills model thats mid-price to get a decent product". Not "ok i'll break the bank on a piece of steel so that i'm not a menace to other drivers." I could have bought the 800$ nameless piece of trash and deserved it. But this?

I love this mentality among jeepers that the problem is the guy that didn't try hard enough, not the product that failed him in seven different ways. Goes to maintain the perfect marketing storm these companies use to prop themselves up.

It's like the famous "If you wanted to save on gas, you should have bought a Prius" that somehow became the smartest thing someone can think of when a conscientious jeeper asks "how can i make this beast less thirsty."

I agree i was unlucky with some things, like the warn winch.

Maybe my biggest problem is i never found a decent shop in all of the province of Quebec. Up here they are either incompetent in service, or rob you blind while pushing you best-margin products over quality ones. A good community would have gone a long way for me.

to add fuel to the fire.....

Jeep Just Empty Every Pocket.......

Not to knock anyone product over the other....just stating facts....

I bought the OR Fab rear corners with the sliders for my JKUR....
1-I feel it cost me $10k instantly.....because the rust on the factory metal started behind them the day they were installed....just as well start chopping and make a JK-8 as the rear corners are history...( these are probably are great in AZ with out any snow, rain and salt.)
2- The hard ware from a reputable company like OR Fab should not rust out...
3- The powder coat on the product is bubbling up like my stomach after Taco Bell
4- We wont even go in to the fitment
5- The rear led lamps still make my blinker go 100 mph even with the resister....

Then go to Shittybuilt.....
I had damaged my rear corner on my 2dr X, and at that time it was limited on rear corner armor...so I bought the smitty xrc front and rear metal fenders
everyone said you get what you pay for....
well funny thing is they were beefy as hell, they actually fit, and still no sign of rust after 2 years....

GO FIGURE.....

It really a crap shoot on parts now days....I have two rigs a 2dr and a JKU rubi.... and to be honest I am disappointed in my JKUR as I don't go looking for rocks with the thing and have put 90K on it with 85K all hiway and have used my lockers maybe 20 times in 4 years and both are going out....

Detroit hands us a less than stellar product....we pay $30-50K for it. Not only do we accept it, market it for them, they build 1mm of them and we accept the fact that they are cheap tin, heavy and underpowered, get terrible mpg......
with saying all this....

I still love my jeep

Oh by the way...I have an 08 JKUR for sale.....lol
Old 08-07-2013, 07:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Iv vistited Toronto, Windsor, Montreal, Quebec and Vancover. I have to say Vancover is the best!! It's so beautiful there with the mountains and the ocean bay and the city is full of parks and things to do. I wish I could live there. Montreal just feels industrial and dirty though I do enjoy St. Cathrine st for the clubs and nightlife. Quebec on the other hand is awesome because of the history in that city. But not as good as Vancover.

I remember at one point Quebec Province wanted to seperate from the others and become its own country. Which I can understand because it feels more like Europe than the other provinces.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I remember at one point Quebec Province wanted to seperate from the others and become its own country. Which I can understand because it feels more like Europe than the other provinces.
Now there's a can of worms... Yeah sadly we are not through that yet. Our province elected a minority separatist government in our last elections and you can see the hatred and bigotry boiling up.

It's true that quebec is more liberal than western canada, but our separatist faction finds rationale in being conquered by the english and in defense of the French language. But they have turned those issues into satire and hyperbole. Now we have ridiculous language laws and politics that go the opposite way from economic realities and national need. Our province is shooting itself in the foot by pushing out anglos towards Toronto (read - money) instead of treating our bilingual heritage as a cultural and economic asset.

Sorry for your rust troubles! In your opinion by having plastic parts on the jeep exterior attached by 3M tape, am i just asking for trouble?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ahahah. Cheers. But I am quickly discovering that some Albertans have a deep hatred of all Quebecers... I try not to take it personally any more than someone subject to racism should, since it has nothing to do with who I am and is essentially just that, political racism (ironically since I probably frequently vote in a way that benefits his province and our shared country. Maybe I should apologize for being born in a certain place...).

Talk about Canadian stereotypes of you guys being all accepting and wonderful!

We Americans on this board are amused to see that things aren't as rosey up north as we thought!

Last edited by spartan99; 08-07-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

I agree that you bought junk XRC parts. If your Warn winch is missing a screw why wouldn't you replace it? That's your own fault for it coming apart. Being cheap has its consequences, a $0.05 screw shouldn't break the bank. Call Warn, I'm sure they would ship you a screw.

You can't use your windshield washers because you put a HighLift on the hood? Don't blame the company, you're the one who installed a HighLift on your hood! Do you think Chrysler intended it to go there?

I agree BestTop makes some dumb products, have you tried to warranty the windows?

Bad ball joints? Who put the 35" tires on the Jeep? Were the Jeep's stock ball joints designed to handle heavy 35" tires? HELL NO! You should have upgraded the BJ's when you put the 35's on. Another fail on you...

Remember the 7 P's for next time: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

I don't mean to be a dick, I just feel your blaming the wrong people. Maintenance is key to anything from a tire to painting the shutters on your house. If a bolt is rusty, go ahead and paint it, don't b*tch about it!

Last edited by Tripletsi; 08-14-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
I agree that you bought junk XRC parts. If your Warn winch is missing a screw why wouldn't you replace it? That's your own fault for it coming apart. Being cheap has its consequences, a $0.05 screw shouldn't break the bank. Call Warn, I'm sure they would ship you a screw.

You can't use your windshield washers because you put a HighLift on the hood? Don't blame the company, you're the one who installed a HighLift on your hood! Do you think Chrysler intended it to go there?

I agree BestTop makes some dumb products, have you tried to warranty the windows?

Bad ball joints? Who put the 35" tires on the Jeep? Were the Jeep's stock ball joints designed to handle heavy 35" tires? HELL NO! You should have upgraded the BJ's when you put the 35's on. Another fail on you...

Remember the 7 P's for next time: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

I don't mean to be a dick, I just feel your blaming the wrong people. Maintenance is key to anything from a tire to painting the shutters on your house. If a bolt is rusty, go ahead and paint it, don't b*tch about it!
Lol...

Yes i did replace the screws. Thing is fixed now, but that wasn't the point, was it? The point was, why did i have to fix a brand new 600$ product?

I don't blame Chrysler for my windshield washer troubles... Obviously. I blame warrior products that didn't think that very basic thing through when they engineered their product. 1 trail run beta test could have told them that, but when you buy the product you assume it will work without compromising your safety...

No i haven't tried to warranty my soft doors, i just did what most other jeepers do... Modded them myself to make it work. I just think it's sad, at the least, that they didn't make a product that doesn't damage your jeep just by using it (hinges).

Balljoints: "another fail on me"... Well, I wasn't exactly complaining about that one as a mod (they work just fine...), just saying that new jeepers will have plenty of maintenance to spend on, never-mind superfluous mods. Though come to think of it it would have been nice of my mod shop to mention their necessity when i was a noob at this and went with their best advice. But i didn't call foul on that.

Yes... 7Ps... You know what else helps? Decent manufacturers. I think that fits somewhere in the equation. Isn't it funny that half my bolts (for the same mods) are stainless and the others somehow were not? I did paint everything, i just didn't realize i'd have shit rusting through powder-coat in 24hrs for some items, and others turning absolute red in ONE winter. And for some products, who the hell sells you uncoated steel for exterior use anyway? It's legitimate to assume you won't need to fix something right out the box.

Yes i take care of my shit. Yes I will "bitch" if a company sells me something they didn't use your 7Ps on before charging me premium.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:15 PM
JK Freak

Lol...

Yes i did replace the screws. Thing is fixed now, but that wasn't the point, was it? The point was, why did i have to fix a brand new 600$ product?

I don't blame Chrysler for my windshield washer troubles... Obviously. I blame warrior products that didn't think that very basic thing through when they engineered their product. 1 trail run beta test could have told them that, but when you buy the product you assume it will work without compromising your safety...

No i haven't tried to warranty my soft doors, i just did what most other jeepers do... Modded them myself to make it work. I just think it's sad, at the least, that they didn't make a product that doesn't damage your jeep just by using it (hinges).

Balljoints: "another fail on me"... Well, I wasn't exactly complaining about that one as a mod (they work just fine...), just saying that new jeepers will have plenty of maintenance to spend on, never-mind superfluous mods. Though come to think of it it would have been nice of my mod shop to mention their necessity when i was a noob at this and went with their best advice. But i didn't call foul on that.

Yes... 7Ps... You know what else helps? Decent manufacturers. I think that fits somewhere in the equation. Isn't it funny that half my bolts (for the same mods) are stainless and the others somehow were not? I did paint everything, i just didn't realize i'd have shit rusting through powder-coat in 24hrs for some items, and others turning absolute red in ONE winter. And for some products, who the hell sells you uncoated steel for exterior use anyway? It's legitimate to assume you won't need to fix something right out the box.

Yes i take care of my shit. Yes I will "bitch" if a company sells me something they didn't use your 7Ps on before charging me premium.
Hope thee other two don't carry the same non-empathetic gene he does.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

What a whiner. He would never make it on The Ultimate Adventure. Definitely not my definition of a "jeeper".

Quick Reply: Goodbye mods