Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Goodbye mods

Old 08-05-2013, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P1Rh0
I'm not sure how you can say it's unreliable. My 08 has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned or driven. Sure it's had some problems here and there but nothing that I couldn't fix on my own with some common sense, a little researching and some tools. For those that say they are unreliable either A) just have a run of bad luck or B) think they are getting a vehicle that is built to perfection. But lets be honest, Jeeps are built mostly for pleasure, they are a big boys toy that is meant to be taken apart and modded. It's not the vehicle you buy for long vacations (Unless it's Moab ), it's the vehicle you buy to go out, play hard and dirty and then bring home clean up and do it all over again. I rather have a vehicle where the seat lever breaks off, the seatbelt doesn't retract but every time I climb in it with my kids that I'll be safe if anything happens while we're out having some fun.
This for 2013:

2013 Vehicle Dependability Study | J.D. Power

Jeep is 4th from the bottom, Dodge is 2nd from the bottom.

You can look at any forum for any vehicle and an owner will say something like: "I've had my _____ for 20 years and I've driven __,000 miles and I haven't had a single problem! _____ vehicles are great!"

Maybe...(but I doubt it) ...but anyway an independant study is the ONLY objective information to base any vehicle quality judgements on.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I feel your pain. I have been modifying my vehicles for years. When I got the JK, I drove it for 4 years with no mod's except a pair of Black Majick's. When I did start my mod's I chose only products and brands that got overwhelmingly good reviews. That's why I went with Poison Spyder, Genright, Rock Krawler, Teraflex and Rigid Industries. Yes, I ended up spending more than with some other brands, but I have never had an issue with them that wasn't covered. The only issue most people had with these companies was cost and wait times.

When it came to the smaller mod's i had less success. My Shittybuilt tube doors are just that. I should have saved up for the OrFab's I wanted. The Hella's fogged up. My Pep Boys highlift rusted up in a season.

It's not that you need to buy the most expensive. There are just some brands, that if you do a little searching you will find have "issues".

Now, I lost my ass on a gear install. The first place messed the instal up so bad, I ended up having to get new gears front and rear and a new locker installed at another place. The first place tried to fix it twice, but the damage had been done with the initial install. They refused to warrantee anything. My company lawyer is handling that issue....
Old 08-05-2013, 04:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Never pay someone to do the mods. Better yet never pay someone to work on your vehicle at all.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just thought I'd mention a company that doesn't seem to get much attention, Hyline offroad! Their quality is second to none! Each detail is well thought out and executed, even packaging. The mods I made with those products will never be a regret, money well spent.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daubie
province of Quebec

That explains the attitude
Province of Alberta. Does that explain the easy hate?
Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by P1Rh0

I'm not sure how you can say it's unreliable. My 08 has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned or driven. Sure it's had some problems here and there but nothing that I couldn't fix on my own with some common sense, a little researching and some tools. For those that say they are unreliable either A) just have a run of bad luck or B) think they are getting a vehicle that is built to perfection. But lets be honest, Jeeps are built mostly for pleasure, they are a big boys toy that is meant to be taken apart and modded. It's not the vehicle you buy for long vacations (Unless it's Moab ), it's the vehicle you buy to go out, play hard and dirty and then bring home clean up and do it all over again. I rather have a vehicle where the seat lever breaks off, the seatbelt doesn't retract but every time I climb in it with my kids that I'll be safe if anything happens while we're out having some fun.
I agree with this. Our jeeps were never meant to be perfect mechanical dreams. And I still love my jeep; it's actually mostly the mods that I can't stand anymore.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Whiskey Bravo

Province of Alberta. Does that explain the easy hate?
Nah. Just used to whining coming from that part of the country even though its Alberta that pays for everything you have
Old 08-05-2013, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daubie

Nah. Just used to whining coming from that part of the country even though its Alberta that pays for everything you have
Wow bud... Thanks for the mods i bought myself?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Whiskey, sorry you have had an unpleasant experience. Mine is stock and I like it that way. So I think you will be pleased when stock again. The good news is that you tried it and all you lost was money and patience.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartan99
Whiskey, sorry you have had an unpleasant experience. Mine is stock and I like it that way. So I think you will be pleased when stock again. The good news is that you tried it and all you lost was money and patience.
Thanks. Yeah, naturally it wasn't a total loss. Far from. I've had tons of great experiences and i learned a great deal (i never did any mechanical work before getting the jeep and now i do everything myself). I also had lots of fun and learned to love the UPS man.

Quick Reply: Goodbye mods