Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Goodbye mods

Old 08-03-2013, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned all this on my TJ..all the steel parts needed to be sanded/wire-wheeled at least once a year....and rattle canned..PiTA...MY rubi is all stock..bumpers n such.. 3yrs later no rust or fading.....

Last edited by 11rubiwannabe; 08-04-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

It is one of the reasons why I'm pretty much stock.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whiskey Bravo

Fox racing stabilizer: damn right your steering will never be the same. Hope you like holding on hard on to your steering wheel, because you'll be pulling left for every mile of that interstate.
Nitrogen charged. You can reduce the charge to suit your needs. A little less charge will take away the pull.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:58 PM
RND
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing WHISKEY BRAVO. Hopefully your thread will enlighten a JKer or two. Anything more than necessary, is vanity. And vanity is definitely a deadly sin.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Default Big Mistake

I feel for ya Brother. I bought a brand new 2013 JK 2 Door. At first I was going to build it up to play in mud and climb trees. But after the "initial" spending I decided to make it a show jeep. With the exceptions of the tires and wheels, EVERYTHING I paid an arm and a leg for has went to hell. AND it only has 3,800 miles on it.

I'm not going to go into ALL the details but as an example, the drivers seat air pump handle became so loose that it about fell off. Then immediately after that the drivers seat got a hole where your butt sits. Warranty? Yea right - totally denied.

Problems with front and rear warn bumper and winch. Grab handles both broke up front.

I do my own detail work on all my vehicles. The clear coat and paint have been totally buffed two times and there isn't enough of either to buff it again.

Rear differential cover broke when I hit a rock on the open highway. Paint on the ARB differentials use to be a nice bright red. Now both are boring dull.

Back seat won't lock into place when in the rear position and there is no lock for it when you want it to stay locked in the forward position. The "cloth" on the very back of the rear seat. Ripped already.

Bought aftermarket armor and the 3M tape is a total waste of time. If I pop rivet it then I'll be waiting for the underside to start rusting the already thin paint.

Took the two front sections of the roof off after carefully reading the instructions. Put it back on a few days later and "nothing" lined up for a tight fit so now I get to listen to this wind noise. Warranty - Nada!

Put in the black grill inserts. Three of them are so loose that the paint is worn off down to bare metal.

Warn winch is made to hold handyman jack. The screeching from "some place" has reaced a point that the jack is coming off.

CAT back exhaust chrome?? slip ons are already rusting.

Dealer undercoated it and I mean "undercoated it." Font to back, moving parts and all.

Less than a year old and there is already a recall on it (N-28) where the transmission cooler line is rubbing against the power steering line but Jeep hasn't even sent letters out to the owners. If that tranny line goes, there goes the fluid or it could be the other way around. Jeep won't tell me if I should continue to drive it because there is no mention of that little item in the recall letter.

There's a lot more "junk" I could talk about but I've spent my last dollar on this "new" jeep. Friend of mine is interested in buying it for what ever reason so think I'll just let him go ahead and have it. Going to go to the local Harley Dealer and buy me a 2013 Heritage Softail. I sold my 2004 like a fool. After nine years of riding it, I can honestly say that there was absolutely no rust forming on any part of the bike and the Chrome looked new after all that time.

I may? look for an old junker jeep for driving during the winter months. Don't care if the road salt spray covers it.

What I thought was going to be a lot of fun, summer and winter, has caused me to spend more money in the last few months and some of it is covered by warranty but tired of fighting the big Corporations.

Originally Posted by Whiskey Bravo
Man oh man,

I've spent thousands (more than i care to share) on mods. I've spent days and days maintaining and installing stuff.

After 2 years and some of believing in the Jeep dream, i've decided to call it quits. There isn't a single mod I purchased, other than my trusty 35" Mickey Thompson tires and 2.5" EMU lift, that i'm still happy with (not that i was told about the side-effects at the time...)

So nice and slow, i'm going to take off the weight and the rust, and my clunky rust bucket will hopefully get bak to that slick and trusty jeep i used to have.

So many disappointments that i don't even trust an aftermarket powder-coat anymore.

XRC carrier (one year): kept swinging open on highway. Cracked at the joint. Rusting. Makes SO MUCH noise. Goddamn public danger being held by my finest bungee. Top of bumper slammed into bottom of tailgate so many times it chipped away the paint there too.

Rock Hard jerry carriers: rusted straight through to red in one winter.

Warrior products hood mount for jack: powder coat all but gone after one winter only ( flaked away). Improper alignment with both generic and hi-lift jacks, had to drill extra holes in both.

Hella 500 lights: bright as shit. Awesome. Then you fold them back like you're meant to, but in a downpour, and find out they fill with water that never leaves. More rust...

Extreme hi-lift jack: ultra omega infinity rust protection you pay 160$ for was sweating rust AFTER 24 HOURS. As if this wasn't enough, somehow they didn't factor in the windshield spray nozzle location, so i have to choose between the jack and actual seeing-through of the windshield on those fun expeditions.

Fox racing stabilizer: damn right your steering will never be the same. Hope you like holding on hard on to your steering wheel, because you'll be pulling left for every mile of that interstate.

Bestop soft doors: arguably cool in a rainy situation, the highway winds will nearly pull them off the jeep (hope your date digs that velcro straps situation you got going on in there) , they leak like sieves ( and actually collect water in the tubular frame) and the lock assemblies actually - literally - fall out. Oh and they wear down the factory hinges due to poor fitment...

Warn Winch: came with one screw missing on the plastic motor cover. Wind therefore ripped said cover off.

Rugged Ridge tubular light bar: looks so cool you might forget the non-stainless bolts they gave you and the mad noise it makes in the wind.

Smittybilt front stubby with bull bar: again with the non-stainless bolts, wtf. One winter and they've rusted out of shape. Also, general rust thing again. One winter!

Screw this, i have better things to do with my money than spend it on shit that devalues faster than a prom-queen.

I say this to gripe, yes, but also as a word of advice to the new bright eyed jeep owner that is so like i was 2 years ago. Save your dollars for the maintenance your new toy will cost ( because your tranny will make noise within a year - its the throw out bearing, don't give up - though you'll never be able to convince your dealer of this, and your driver-train, clock-spring and balljoints will go for a walk, oh and you need a dealer tool just to change a tail light, and no sir we can't sell you just the one soft top window... But if you like i have a 2 for 1 sale on windshields, it'll only cost you 500$ this year), never-mind turning your rig into a bat-jeep.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

province of Quebec

That explains the attitude
Old 08-05-2013, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

No; Jeeps poor quality explains the attitude. Jeep for many years has been one of the most unreliable vehicles you can buy; almost always close or at the bottom in independant quality surveys. For 2013 Jeep has moved up a bit, unless they move up further my 11' JKUR will be my last Jeep.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by navin r
No; Jeeps poor quality explains the attitude. Jeep for many years has been one of the most unreliable vehicles you can buy; almost always close or at the bottom in independant quality surveys. For 2013 Jeep has moved up a bit, unless they move up further my 11' JKUR will be my last Jeep.

I'm not sure how you can say it's unreliable. My 08 has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned or driven. Sure it's had some problems here and there but nothing that I couldn't fix on my own with some common sense, a little researching and some tools. For those that say they are unreliable either A) just have a run of bad luck or B) think they are getting a vehicle that is built to perfection. But lets be honest, Jeeps are built mostly for pleasure, they are a big boys toy that is meant to be taken apart and modded. It's not the vehicle you buy for long vacations (Unless it's Moab ), it's the vehicle you buy to go out, play hard and dirty and then bring home clean up and do it all over again. I rather have a vehicle where the seat lever breaks off, the seatbelt doesn't retract but every time I climb in it with my kids that I'll be safe if anything happens while we're out having some fun.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why I Love my 2012 Stock Sport. 3.21 gears and all. Only mod I have is short antennae.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:07 AM
JK Freak

I hear ya WB. For those that don't feel your pain and believe that one should "wheel it, break it, fix it," GodSpeed with your marriage.

Quick Reply: Goodbye mods