Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Goodbye mods

Old 08-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain. I'm sorry you've had so many problems.

My hi-lift was rusting within 24 hours too (it's the only thing on my Jeep that has rust). I've purchased many accessories and poor coating (paint or powder) isn't uncommon. It's somewhat true that you get what you pay for with the higher-end companies. But, in many cases that only applies to the engineering.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskey Bravo
Because I've been sold on an idea that I am handy instead of on a product that works... I don't ever want to hear myself say "yeah but it's a jeep" as a rationalization of shittyness.
Well said!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought a bare bones 2 door Wrangler, and thus far the only mod I'm still happy with is the 5 OEM 17" tires and wheels I bought off Craig's List for $400! The TrekTop NX was pricey and doesn't really fit my needs, so that's for sale, the wife hated the look of the Combo Bikini, Winjammer, and Duster, so that's for sale, I could go on, but it gets depressing. There are days I wish I could just be satisfied with a vehicle the way it comes from the factory, but I don't think there are many of us wired that way!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

So far I've been lucky enough to enjoy all my mods. IMO all have made my jeep better in one way or another. I was also wise enough to research the hell out of any product that I bought to ensure success with it. I'm also patient enough to make sure I get what I want rather than just get what I happen to have the cash for at the moment, I wait till I can afford it. Again if you buy right you buy once....hopefully anyway. The only issue I have is that I wish I bought 35's instead of 33's which I'm fixing soon. Sorry you've had a very different experience. At least you've hopefully learned from your misfortune just sucks that it cost thousands to do so.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Unfortunately, things like tops, lifts, tires, wheels, etc don't offer try before you buy, so until you have an item installed for a while you really don't know the pros and cons for your personal situation. Research is great, but sometime all the research in the world does not measure up to real life practical experience.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM12
So far I've been lucky enough to enjoy all my mods. IMO all have made my jeep better in one way or another. I was also wise enough to research the hell out of any product that I bought to ensure success with it. I'm also patient enough to make sure I get what I want rather than just get what I happen to have the cash for at the moment, I wait till I can afford it. Again if you buy right you buy once....hopefully anyway. The only issue I have is that I wish I bought 35's instead of 33's which I'm fixing soon. Sorry you've had a very different experience. At least you've hopefully learned from your misfortune just sucks that it cost thousands to do so.
Exactly . ive done the same and am happy with all my mods.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

I would never buy a nice jk and put 1000s of dollars into it. I rather buy a old beater cj or even tj for extreme off roading.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:39 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Sounds like someone needs to start a business that services our JK's with mods.Based on your list,a little TLC goes a long way
Old 08-03-2013, 01:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by familytime
Sounds like someone needs to start a business that services our JK's with mods.Based on your list,a little TLC goes a long way
Great idea - well said!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default Mods

Love this thread. I've had my JK for about a year now, and love it. I haven't had the money to do the expensive mods like lift, tires, bumpers, etc, but I'm dying to. That said, your post gave me pause. I have done some inexpensive mods and its been like a bonding experience with my Jeep. Its kept me out of the bars a few weekend nights too, which probably saved me some money. I've added lots LED lights, MyGig, Plastidipped my roof interior and added a headliner, changed some speakers, blacked out my exhaust, etc. I've already had a couple things start acting up on me, so I can only imagine my troubles a few years from now. Someone mentioned Jeep quality earlier in the thread and I had to smirk, because after owning the JK for a year now, I just noticed that my passenger power lock controls were installed upside down!

Quick Reply: Goodbye mods