Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Good way to protect synthetic line from UV?

Old 11-28-2009, 04:35 AM
HBC
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good way to protect synthetic line from UV?

My synthetic line on my winch is wearing down from the strong UV here in South Texas. Is there something made to just cover the line that is simple on and off? THX, HBC
Old 11-28-2009, 04:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Did your line come with a rock sleeve, or do you require more protection? I keep my rock sleeve on the free end of the line. Some keep it on the spool end of the line, supposedly to protect from heat under heavy load. My theory on that: If your winch is working hard enough to generate lots of heat, then you needed to unwind almost all of the line to get maximum pull power. Slide the rock sleeve into place and start spooling it. Then, when finished, put the rock sleeve back out to protect the line from wind and sun. You may also be able to buy a second rock sleeve, if you prefer.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't be too worried about the UV exposure. If you go to the Samson website and look at the Amsteel Blue page:

http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?rope=192

it specifically states that the line is "UV Stabilized".

That said, if you want to avoid the fading, I would just buy a winch cover. That'll protect the line from UV light and road grime (although I don't imagine that you have a real big problem with that in Texas)
Old 11-28-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search the web for "bison winchline protector"..I tried posting the link but it wouldn't work.

Quick Reply: Good way to protect synthetic line from UV?