Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Good Bike Rack - 2" Receiver

Old 12-15-2007, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Bike Rack - 2" Receiver

Is anyone running a good 2" receiver bike rack? I need one that carries 4 bikes, is sturdy with little play and can clear the spare.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Clearing the spare and 4 bikes might be a problem. i run a Hollywood racks 2 bike rack and it's great, but since I bumped up in tire size, I've got to get a hitch extension. I tried one of their 4 bike racks, but it wouldn't clear the spare, and that was with the stock 225s on there. Because most decent 4 bike racks will fold against the back of the vehicle, they have a raise in them that gets in the way of the spare.

Let us know what size wheel/tire your spare is and that will help a lot.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks utahgoose. I guess some specs would be helpful. I'm running a stock Rubicon 225 MT. I keep meaning to fill in my profile. I'll take care of that next!

Last edited by BillyJack; 12-16-2007 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:05 AM
JK Junkie

This is what I have. It is real nice and adjustable for larger tires. You can also use it for ski's......and it is less than $200 at etrailer.com.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:17 AM
JK Freak

I have a Yakima Hookup. Unfortunately, the inner bike tray is blocked by the spare. It might work if you pull the pedals and/or cranks off the bike though. Once it warms up, I'll check. I'm not pulling cranks while it's still 12F or whatever outside.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

This was a pretty good thread from some time back - I ended up with a Thule to clear my spare - but on a stock X w/17" wheels, although I still can't open the gate with the rack I got (the fold out would have been nicer if I had the $ to spend). Seems others dealt with the larger tire clearance. There are a number of good discussions on the racks - I would search a little if you haven't yet.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ke+rack+yakima
Old 12-16-2007, 09:02 AM
JK Junkie

I heavy FR/DH bikes. I hate taking the front wheels off and putting them on the roof. The best rack I have found is the Thule T2. It is a little spendy but well worth it. Here are a few pics. I have the 2 bike rack but plan on buying the 2 bike extention soon. Ive seen the 4 bike rack on a Honda Element even. These are not my pics.

Last edited by kntr; 12-16-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:18 PM
JK Freak

I ride FR/DH bikes too which is why I like the Yakima Hookup. It's similar to the Thule T2. Religious issue--all my other stuff is Yakima so I stuck with Yakima for this rack.

I checked and a bike will not fit comfortably in the inner most slot even if you pull the cranks and pedals.

Summary: Jeep Rubicon Stock Spare + Yakima Hookup + Yakima Plus 2 = 3 Bikes.

Also, you can't open the back of the Jeep without pulling the rack.

-Glen
Old 12-16-2007, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kntr
These are not my pics.
Since they're not your pics and therefore probably not you, I'll go ahead and say it: Why isn't this guy using the bed of the pickup for the bikes?
Old 12-16-2007, 03:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bikerglen
I ride FR/DH bikes too which is why I like the Yakima Hookup. It's similar to the Thule T2. Religious issue--all my other stuff is Yakima so I stuck with Yakima for this rack.

I checked and a bike will not fit comfortably in the inner most slot even if you pull the cranks and pedals.

Summary: Jeep Rubicon Stock Spare + Yakima Hookup + Yakima Plus 2 = 3 Bikes.

Also, you can't open the back of the Jeep without pulling the rack.

-Glen
The T2 will tilt down so you can get in the back. I havent had it on the JK yet since I just got the Jeep a couple weeks ago and its winter. Ill have to give it a try and see if I can load a bike on the inner most rack.

Originally Posted by bikerglen
Since they're not your pics and therefore probably not you, I'll go ahead and say it: Why isn't this guy using the bed of the pickup for the bikes?
That is where all your gear goes. Plus its a lot easier to load the bikes on the rack than to strap them up in the bed. Most mountain bikes can cost $2k-$8k and you dont want to just stack them in the bed.

This is my baby.

What is everyone else riding?

Last edited by kntr; 12-18-2007 at 05:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Good Bike Rack - 2" Receiver