Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Going Topless/Doorless: JKU Cab Covers?

Old 08-23-2019, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Going Topless/Doorless: JKU Cab Covers?

Anyone own a Jeep Cab cover and could share their experience? Good/Bad?

I was driving through my neighborhood and noticed a 4door JKU which had a cab cover. It was a Mastertop brand cover.

I thought to myself, that seems like a really nice accessory to have where I may get to go topless more often. The reality in Michigan is that I'm lucky if we get 3 days in a row without rain, especially at night and was thinking having that cover may be more convenient than having to put the soft top up and zip in all the windows when I park at night, only to undo all that if the weather during the next day permits topless/doorless driving.

So, I started looking around and found Smittybuilt, Best top and Mastertop options for similar looking cab covers with Smittybuilt being the least costly option. However, I then started wondering if they would be a problem when having side mirrors installed? When going doorless I usually have the Die-tech bracket with factory mirrors installed or I have my tube doors installed which have factory mirrors mounted on the tube doors. The mirrors can be folded in but was wondering if I now have to be concerned with leaks, or have to remove the mirrors ....since those are the things I would be trying to avoid by getting one of these cab covers and the pictures of these tops don't seem to show mirrors being installed.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-23-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I think the real problem is most of those aren't going to fit well over a soft top that is folded down. You are wanting to leave the soft top installed, just folded down is my understanding. That would probably be just as big of an obstacle, if not more, than mirrors. I'd think most would accommodate mirrors folded in. I'd think if you wanted to remove the soft top completely, then a cab cover makes sense, but it seems like a lot of effort for a few days time. I guess you don't park in a garage huh?

I've looked at one of those cab covers in person before as a cheap CL purchase. I was surprised how heavy and bulky it was to store....like a heavy canvas tent. I have the Quadratec emergency top. It's a real POS for what it costs. The stitching is terrible and it's very light weight. I have used it for a couple "flash" thunderstorms while topless and it served it's function. I know that doesn't help, nor is it what you were asking about...just sayin'. I think this is one of those things that there's just no perfect solution for.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Actually, I'ld like to leave the soft top off completely. The reason I keep it on is for just in case of rain purposes but that doesn't help much when you have the doors off where I'm now considering one of these cab covers would serve that purpose better.

I have one spot in my garage open currently, where I have a choice of leaving that spot open to work on projects, park my JK there, and when I take the Hard Top off, it hangs over that area. So yeah, I just park outside since I always seem to have some project going on and I can't fully park inside the garage when the hard top is hanging there. With the hard top hanging, I can usually back into my garage far enough to protect from rain getting inside the JK but my front end is hanging outside the garage with the garage door open. That works in case of a sudden down pour for now but rather close the garage with all my tools in it and use a cover.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've got the Bestop cover (obviously 2dr) and it's great. It has little bump outs for where the mirrors go though if the cover is going on then usually the doors are already off. I've used it with the soft top folded down in the rear because it goes over the roll bars and clips in around the tub belt line. It's also got tensioner straps that clip in on the bottom of the rear door and under the pinch seam by the front doors.

I believe it's the same one that Mark Dorion uses and he's had his installed through hail storms. I use mine moreso for dew, light storms, animals, and prying eyes at night. I'm generally happy with it, but I also have a carport or garage to park in most times so I'm not forced to use it often. I have mine and I purchased a second for my significant other.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 135 Likes on 120 Posts

I have the Bestop one for the two door. They are meant to fit over folded mirrors, I did it for years with the DieTech brackets. I don't have a top in the summer so I can't comment on how it fits with the soft top down. When my garage is occupied, I use the cover at night and I'll take it off in the morning. It's not a big hassle, all of 5 minutes. When I'm not using it nightly I roll it up and put it back in its bag and stick it on a shelf. It's nice peace of mind to bring if you're expecting scattered afternoon thunderstorms and you don't have to be driving.

I don't think I've had any leaks into the cab with it on in the rain. It will pool in the space over the seats, but if you drain it properly before taking it off nothing really gets inside. It fits with the front freedom panels on too, then it drains nicely with no pooling. I've been using mine for years with zero complaints. The Bestop unit is well built and I haven't seen a single failure on it anywhere. I'm glad I have it.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Well if you are taking the soft top off completely, does seem like that is a legit product for you. That stinks you can't get the jeep in the garage with the hard top hanging. I have a really low ceiling (8') in the garage. I have just enough room though to pull in nose first under the hard top and still get the garage door closed. I feel for you guys that can't enjoy the top off for long stretches at a time. Just not the same vehicle with a top on.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I've got the Bestop cover (obviously 2dr) and it's great. It has little bump outs for where the mirrors go though if the cover is going on then usually the doors are already off. I've used it with the soft top folded down in the rear because it goes over the roll bars and clips in around the tub belt line. It's also got tensioner straps that clip in on the bottom of the rear door and under the pinch seam by the front doors.

I believe it's the same one that Mark Dorion uses and he's had his installed through hail storms. I use mine moreso for dew, light storms, animals, and prying eyes at night. I'm generally happy with it, but I also have a carport or garage to park in most times so I'm not forced to use it often. I have mine and I purchased a second for my significant other.
Awesome! That's what I was thinking would be needed was some type of pocket for the mirrors to fit into. Someone else pointed me towards the Rain Gear cover as well, where the Rain Gear seems to have some hole cut-outs with a flap for the mirrors. The Die-tech and my tube door mirrors sit slightly lower than the factory mirrors so I'm hoping there's likely enough play in those areas to be able to work around that slight difference of mirror location. I'm hoping I don't need to do some re-engineering to get one of these covers to work with my mirrors. I suck at sewing.

I have to go stalk that neighbor who has the Mastertop and see what he has going on for mirrors. He lives like 3 blocks over, and I never met him.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-23-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I ended up doing much more research than I anticipated and after doing further research here's what I've been able to summarize. I've come to the conclusion in regards to heavy rain protection there's 2 classes of cab covers.

1. Vinyl interior lining cab cover - Examples: Rain Gear trail cover
Pros:
+ Tend to be more water "proof" out of the box due to vinyl interior lining but still categorized as being water "resistant".
+ Doesn't attach to soft top mounting ridges in rear of cab which allows it to be used with the soft top mounted/folded down on or off.
+ Includes longer (32in) side straps which make it more versatile for locating a strap securing point working around side steps/rock slider accessories.
+ Side mirrors: Uses a hole/velcro flap design which better accommodates doorless mirrors which can't be folded in.
Cons:
- Due to vinyl lining which makes it more water proof, tends to be heavier to manage than other options.
- Fit tends to be looser in the rear
- If doorless side mirrors aren't within vicinity of factory mount location, can leave openings around mirror and bottom of door area for water to leak in.

2. Fleece interior lining (5 layer designs) cab covers - Examples: Q-tec, Bestop, MasterTop, Smittybuilt, Rugged Ridge.
Pros:
+ Tend to be lighter in weight and easier to manage
+ Fit in rear is more form fitting due to using existing soft top rear rail clips for tying down/securing/attaching rear of cover.
+ Multiple similar design options from different vendors at different price point offerings which seem to differ by quality/thickness of material and stitching quality.
+ Uses a pocket design for doorless side mirrors which helps reduce water leaks around mirrors.
Cons:
- Tend to be less water "proof" out of the box.
- Soft top must be removed due to form fitting design.
- Doorless side mirrors must be able to be folded in. Doorless side mirror Pockets aren't deep enough to leave mirrors folded out.
- Stitching tends to stretch over time allowing more areas for water leak to enter.
- Side tie-down straps tend to run short (15in) which can make it difficult to find a strap securing point if you have side steps/rock rails.
- The fleece, although intended for paint protection, if you're not careful can hold dirt/small rocks and actually increase the chances of paint scratches when taking it on/off.
- In the event the fleece does get wet, it will take longer to dry out before you can fold it up and put it away.

Recommendations:
Both types can/will benefit in their water "proof" properties by spraying down the cover with tent spray, especially around the seams. They all say, Water "resistant"...except for Rampage which state Water "proof" but that is not the case...far from it if you read the reviews. Both types will benefit by adding some type of tent pole in the front cabin area to prevent water pooling when cover is used during heavy/extended rain storms.

Some suggestions of tent pole (roof sloping) ideas used: 2x4 piece of wood/extendable shower curtain rod/etc, placed in front cup holder or on center console arm rest. Inflatable beach ball placed above sound bar. Soft top bow.

Summary:
There's no silver bullet available but with a few additional add-ons/mods for the cab cover, you can get closer to one in protecting against water getting in during heavy/extended rain storms. For the just in-case of emergency sudden down pour which doesn't last long enough to allow pooling to form on top of the cover, either type will work fine. For overnight extended rain storm water protection, the Rain Gear currently seems to be best in class out of the box.

Quick Reply: Going Topless/Doorless: JKU Cab Covers?