Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

This is going to sound stupid/crazy but...

Old 02-22-2015, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I sold my 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Commando Green" built to my specs over a year ago to get a pick-up for work. I go through vehicles the way some people go through shoes. I am looking at purchasing a used 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in "Commando Green" that is almost identical (40,000 miles) to the one I originally specified and purchased from Hendrick Jeep in West Ashley, Charleston, SC for $32,990.00 before SC Tax/Title/Tag. Current quoted price for this used 2013 JKUR is $31,952.00 Out-The-Door (Includes all fees and SC TTT). $31,579.00 before SC TTT/fees, that is a depreciation of $1,411.00 over more than 2 years! I may just be getting JKUR-Crazy, and or JKUR-Stupid. Do you guys think I should go through with this?

Last edited by doc5339; 02-22-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doc5339
I sold my 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Commando Green" built to my specs over a year ago to get a pick-up for work. I go through vehicles the way some people go through shoes. I am looking at purchasing a used 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in "Commando Green" that is almost identical to the one I originally specified and purchased from Hendrick Jeep in West Ashley, Charleston, SC for $32,990.00 before SC Tax/Title/Tag. Current quoted price for this used 2013 JKUR is $31,952.00 Out-The-Door (Includes all fees and SC TTT). $31,579.00 before SC TTT/fees, that is a depreciation of $1,411.00 over more than 2 years! I may just be getting JKUR-Crazy, and or JKUR-Stupid. Do you guys think I should go through with this?
Looking at the price you paid, you got a good deal when new. Not knowing what options or how many miles hard to tell if it is a good deal on the used, but putting a SC zip code into KBB.COM and building a basic manual Rubi with 35k miles, the prices is in the 30k range.

While I don't think they make commando green anymore, they make Tank. You might try to just find a goal like you did last time on a new one.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by WHT_JKUR
Looking at the price you paid, you got a good deal when new. Not knowing what options or how many miles hard to tell if it is a good deal on the used, but putting a SC zip code into KBB.COM and building a basic manual Rubi with 35k miles, the prices is in the 30k range. While I don't think they make commando green anymore, they make Tank. You might try to just find a goal like you did last time on a new one.
It is below the average of Edmunds, KBB, and NADA. 2013 JKUR "Commando Green" -Black Hard Top -Manual Trans -Heated Seats -UConnect -Bluetooth -Max Tow Pkg -Side Air Bags Priced a new 2015 JKUR with same options in Tank at just $36,539.00 Out-The-Door. Leaning towards the 2013 due to lower property taxes next year, lower insurance, not worrying about messing-up a new rig, and not having sub-woofer in storage area

Total price difference between 2015 and 2013 JKUR equipped exactly the same: $4,587.00

Last edited by doc5339; 02-22-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Seems like a fair deal. Have you checked the carfax on it?
Old 02-23-2015, 03:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by WHT_JKUR
Seems like a fair deal. Have you checked the carfax on it?
1-Owner, Clean Carfax, shows 1-Open Recall (guessing that is for the heated mirrors?)
Old 02-23-2015, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Since you said you switch vehicles frequently and Wranglers hold their value well, you could probably drive this one for a year or so and still get a fair price for it when you sell it

Personally, with Jeeps, I prefer to buy new, because I like to make sure I know what mods are done, I want to know if has been off-roaded, and I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You asked if you are JKUR-Crazy or JKUR-Stupid, and I don't think you are either of those.

There are plenty of people around here that sold a Jeep for something else, only to return to a Jeep shortly after. Not me, I keep my Jeeps, but the struggle is real and you wouldn't be the first person to do this.

Do if it you want it!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jk_sea
You asked if you are JKUR-Crazy or JKUR-Stupid, and I don't think you are either of those.

There are plenty of people around here that sold a Jeep for something else, only to return to a Jeep shortly after. Not me, I keep my Jeeps, but the struggle is real and you wouldn't be the first person to do this.

Do if it you want it!
x2
But no wonder some of you guys stay in debt your whole lives *sad* and regrets coming if you continue to buy vehicles like you say you do!!
I'm in my 40's mortgage paid off 2 yrs ago and still drive a beast
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2300529065.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	598323  
Old 02-23-2015, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jk_sea
You asked if you are JKUR-Crazy or JKUR-Stupid, and I don't think you are either of those. There are plenty of people around here that sold a Jeep for something else, only to return to a Jeep shortly after. Not me, I keep my Jeeps, but the struggle is real and you wouldn't be the first person to do this. Do if it you want it!
I'm in that boat too. Bought a 2013 Dozer JKUR for $37,900 before tax and tags. Traded it in on an ordered 2014 Ram 3500, they gave me $35,900.

Now I'm literally sitting in a dealer showroom getting prices.

The best price so far is $36,752 for a Baja Yellow JKUR that's has a MSRP OF $40,760. Now I'm just seeing how much I can get for my truck. But if that doesn't pan out I think I'm just going to buy the JKUR anyway without trading the truck in.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
x2
But no wonder some of you guys stay in debt your whole lives *sad* and regrets coming if you continue to buy vehicles like you say you do!!
I'm in my 40's mortgage paid off 2 yrs ago and still drive a beast
I exaggerate a bit, and sometimes actually make some money selling my vehicles, though I do not "flip" cars. That said, I could not afford to buy a JKUR outright for cash. Good on you for your fiscal responsibility! Not a jab, quite serious. Thanks for your input as well. I keep spreadsheets of everything I put into the vehicles and usually break-even, though I did poorly selling that pick-up, damn Dodge!

Quick Reply: This is going to sound stupid/crazy but...