Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Going Pantless?

Old 09-21-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jwetzel
Can you post a picture of what you did? Mine has been flapping ever since I put my front SRC bumper on. Getting a lot more wind in there now.
STUPIDFACE's photo is much clearer than any I could post. After I chopped the fenders, my remaining front inners were flapping but they can be secured permanently inward of where the Rubi rails are. Using the tire in photo as a reference point, I drilled a hole into the inner pants and frame at 10 o'clock - this was the only location I found that allowed me to get a wrench behind the frame to tighten a bolt and washers through the frame and inners.

If your trimming the fenders and keeping some of the inners - When cutting the outers only cut the inners the VERY MINIMUM needed to get the outers finished to your desired shape. I chopped both together and took too much off one of the inners. Obvious in hindsight, but it's too easy to chop more and then regret.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading my post and noticed that i should clarify. When i said that i used some of what i cut off to close the gap, i was talking about some of what i cut off the fender flare. The part i cut off followed the contour of the fender perfectly and allowed me to make a closure for the gap between the actual sheetmetal of the fender and the fender liner. Hope this helps.

corey d
Old 09-21-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by westchester
Using the tire in photo as a reference point, I drilled a hole into the inner pants and frame at 10 o'clock - this was the only location I found that allowed me to get a wrench behind the frame to tighten a bolt and washers through the frame and inners.
If you prefer not to drill your frame (you may not like drilling if you have to endure the slush and salt of the east coast winter) then the alternative is to drill a couple of smallish holes (say 2-3" apart) in the same general area of the fender skirt).

You can then zip tie the skirt through the holes and around the body mount.

If you check the xenon fender write-up in the write-up section there are some good pictures there. I used the zip-tie method as I wanted to secure the fender skirt but didn't want to drill the frame.

Steve

Quick Reply: Going Pantless?