Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

going to Moab..need opinons

Old 05-05-2008, 11:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were in Moab 2 weeks ago. In Arches we always enjoyed the road to Tower Arch (gravel, sand, rocks). We used to return via Balanced Rock but the road is damaged and closed for now. Nice scenic easy rides are Onion Creek and Long Canyon which climbs a high hill and you can drive under a huge boulder. A good ride with a some challenges is Bull Canyon to the bottom of Gemini Bridges, then go up on top to walk on the Gemini Bridges. You can do this alone as it is heavily traveled by other Jeeps to give you a hand if you need it. Schafer Trail is easy but awesome for scenery and it is fun to go up (or down) the switchback road and view the valley from up high. This is another good road to do alone. Chicken Corners is fun too. These are all good trails for those who don't want to do difficult trails. Have fun!
Old 05-06-2008, 04:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Gemini Bridges Trail is easy, there will probably be a few other vehicles in case you need help, and, if you dare, you can drive out onto one of the arches (I didn't know it was permitted when I was there):

Be sure to touch Goose Rock with your tire as you drive by!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Shaeffer Trail is a good one to do on your own. Great views/vistas and simple. I like to do it from the bottom to the top.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

ahhhhhhhh....im still undecided. it's like going to Disney and saying you can only do one park and thats all. damn time ..not enough of it!! i wish i knew the area better. i read somewhere you can not wheel in arches? is this true? WOL...do you recall the name of the trail you did in canyons?

thanks for all the great suggestions! i just don't want to be driving out a dusty dirt road all day. i want some rocks to wheel on and breathtaking scenary!
Old 05-08-2008, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Poison Spider Mesa is one of my favorites, granted we did it on mtn bikes but stopped to watch several jeeps on the way up, looked like a blast, not sure you can get all the way here without a little hike but the view of the town of Moab is awesome...

Old 05-08-2008, 07:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoojk
ahhhhhhhh....im still undecided. it's like going to Disney and saying you can only do one park ...
Hunh? Here's Disney (really, I kid you not: Disney, Oklahoma!):

Someone else's YouTube video
Old 05-08-2008, 08:35 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoojk
ahhhhhhhh....im still undecided. it's like going to Disney and saying you can only do one park and thats all. damn time ..not enough of it!! i wish i knew the area better. i read somewhere you can not wheel in arches? is this true? WOL...do you recall the name of the trail you did in canyons?

thanks for all the great suggestions! i just don't want to be driving out a dusty dirt road all day. i want some rocks to wheel on and breathtaking scenary!

The name of the trail is Colorado River Overlook. It's the trail near the top on this map:

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/upload/needles.pdf

Old 05-08-2008, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

I really enjoyed doing Elephant Hill in Canyonlands. It's a moderate trail with some great scenery. Here's a link to a whole album of pictures, compliments of Project-JK.

Moab Easter Jeep Safari 2008 Day 4 - Elephant Hill
Old 05-08-2008, 12:41 PM
JK Newbie

Hells revenge is a great slickrock trail. We took a bunch of stock rentals with 33s on it and had a blast. The mesa trail is a little hairier for a stock unit but we did ok.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0858 (2) (2).JPG
Views:	41
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	8907   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0869 (2) (2).JPG
Views:	38
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	8908  

Quick Reply: going to Moab..need opinons