Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

going to Moab..need opinons

Old 05-05-2008, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to Moab..need opinons

ok heres the sit rep. My GF is coming in on saturday and we are leaving early sunday morning to Moab. This is not a long trip once in a lifetime thing. i drove there for dinner last night and came home ( let the jealousy rage!!) i will be there pretty much all summer off and on. so....my question is................

this time i will be alone(no fellow wheelers)but i want to do some wheeling. i did fins last time with a buddy and i know i can do that alone as its pretty much like a zoo in the park on the weekend and never out of site of someone for long. i guess what i am asking..whats a good trail that my stock x can handle and not worry about being alone. I know you shouldnt wheel alone but im not looking to get crazy just some fun trails with good scenery. someone suggested chicken corner to me today. i need the most bang for your buck trail. we are camping and leaving in the am. Are there trails in Arches???

Recommendations please!!

Thanks~
Old 05-05-2008, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

Lions Back!!!! lol Just kidding.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is a really nice canyon in Canyonlands park that has restricted permit access. It is basically entirely within the sandy wash of an intermittent stream. It is called Horse Canyon and leads to Castle and Fortress Arches. It is not extreme at all, but great for a fun day out and because it is limited to permitted vehicles, somebody is going to come check on you if you don't show back up at night. But you must reserve your permit in advance (sometimes you can walk in, but don't count on it).

I'd send you to some of my secret campsites in the area, but then they wouldn't be secrets. . . . but the best way to find your own secret spots is to get a BLM map and start looking for interesting trails off the beaten rock-crawler paths.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

In Arches Nat. Park, there are several dirt road trails that are off the beaten path and require four wheel drive. I don't know if they are always open as I was only there once. It's light to slightly moderate and gets you real close to the rocks.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

If I were you, try Seven Mile Rim. I watched a couple of stock Chevy s-10 make it through. You will be surprised what a stock wrangler can do. Besides, if you live that close to Moab, the tow truck won't charge you much to get it home.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:03 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend hitting some of the trails in Canyonlands. Last year we did a very easy, very scenic run to the Colorado overlook and had a great time. I would love to go back and spend more time there as it is really a beautiful place

Some pics of the trail:

Old 05-05-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

White Rim trail, long and easy, but beautiful the entire way. Hey Joe Canyon and some of the points if not washed out. Longs Canyon/ Pucker Pass, oooh, Arch Canyon if you want to head south a bit. Arch Canyon would fit the " Most bang for the Buck" scenario for sure.(A top 5 campsite in the US) Arches as the Klondikes Bluff Trail and other Easy Back Country Trails. Pick up a Wells Guide.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

I am in a similar situation; well sort of! The wife, kids, and I are going to be in Moab June 12-19th. It will be my first trip there, the first time on the rocks, and we are going there solo!

There is no terrain in Michigan like Moab; so it will be a learning experience... I am hoping that I might be lucky enough to meet some friendly wheelers that are experienced with the area and terrain, and that might be willing to allow me to tag along and learn...

I am going to hit the easy stuff with the whole family; but I am reserving a couple of days with just my 16yr old son to explore some more challenging terrain. It is not a trip that I will be able to take real often, so I do want to enjoy some challenges or else I will be filled with regret. I will need my JK to be road worthy enough to make the 1500 mile trip back home; but the fear of that won’t prevent me from having fun while I’m there…
Old 05-05-2008, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Onion Creek is very nice and easy

You can make a nice loop out of it go up counterclockwise on The LaSal loop road, Geyser loop, and go down Onion creek very beautiful.
I can send a GPS track of the loop if ya have one of those gismos
On this place, The max file size for a "gpx file is only 48k, so It will not upload here, it is a 1mb file
Old 05-05-2008, 09:52 PM
JK Freak

so many choices!! i dont really need it to be "easy" just not a 6 rating or something. also it all depends on whats easy. i loved doinfs fins and things. i cleared the entire trail stock and had a blast. so i want some sort of 4wd just so my GF can experiance it. She has never been off road..he he he boy is she in for a suprise!

Quick Reply: going to Moab..need opinons