Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Going from Hard Top to Soft soon

Old 04-09-2009, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from Hard Top to Soft soon

So I am planning on switching over to my soft top soon for the summer for the first time...any suggestions to make things easier?

What sizes are the torx heads I'll need?

Thanks for any help in advance.......
Old 04-10-2009, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread since I'm going to be putting on my soft top for the first time this weekend

If I remember correctly, it's a T-30 Torx driver that you need.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prpltrck
So I am planning on switching over to my soft top soon for the summer for the first time...any suggestions to make things easier?

What sizes are the torx heads I'll need?

Thanks for any help in advance.......
This should help give you some idea's for a hoist/lift to help out removing your hardtop.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ardtop+storage

Very simple to change the hartop..... 6 torx screws in the back, and 2 up at the Freedom top panels. 2 screw knobs in the roll bar and twist the handles in the freedom top and 2 latches and use a hoist/lift and you have it off in about 15 -20minutes or sooner if you have a second person.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

I know how to take the Freedom Top off, just don't know the size of the Torx screws so thanks for that info...but if I remember correctly there are two different torx screws:
8 in the freedom top
4 in the bars that connect to the roll bars...or are those just phillips?
Old 04-10-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Super Freak

for the freedom top there are 4 on each side in the back and they 2 in the front they are all the same size. ! although i don't remember it might be a 40. but im not 100% sure. i just sold my freedom top the other day so i know there are 8 in the back and 2 in the front. easy to take off though.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Get a T-40 too. I use that size to remove the hard top bolts. T-30 is to attach the bolts for soft top frame to the pillars (assuming it's been taken off and is not still attached under the hard top). MAKE SURE YOU WATCH THE JEEP SITE HOW TO VIDEO. Plan on a couple of hours if you've never done it before.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:55 AM
gpb
JK Enthusiast

Yep, T40 and T30 needed. I'm assuming this is a new top not previously put up?

Not sure how warm CT weather is supposed to be this weekend, but the soft top is can be a PITA when it's cold out. Even worse if it's a new top that hasn't been put up before. I had the same experience a month ago. It may be worthwhile to have enough time to put the top up partially (without fastening everything down) and let it sit in the sunshine for an hour to warm up and become easier to stretch out.

Watch the video. Write down the steps. It's a little different from the book. Couple of key things I noted were that the tailgate bar wasn't fully rolled into its slot until after the rear window was zipped (makes it easier to get around the corners), and also the video apparently suggests the front header latches only be locked down as the very last step.

One other thought -- at the suggestion of someone else, a small carabiner on the pullcord of the rear window zipper really helps get it around the corners without tearing up your hands. Don't leave it on there -- I've taken to clipping it to the tiedown on the floor in front of the rear door so it's always handy.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:59 AM
gpb
JK Enthusiast

Oh and don't get discouraged. It gets MUCH easier and faster after a few times.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for he advice guys, this was exactly what I was looking for. I might hold off until I have a nice day that is 70+ out...which here in CT might be awhile!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

same here in the Toronto area..supposed to get nice end of next week, and I have to take it easy because I just had my boys fixed!! First time and hoping the soft top isn't too much of a PIA@!

Quick Reply: Going from Hard Top to Soft soon