Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Going from auto to manual?

Old 04-04-2014, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from auto to manual?

This may seem like an odd question but is a JK an easy vehicle to learn how to drive stick in or difficult?

My past 14 years have been spent in automatic wranglers and I'm considering manual for my next one to save money.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The manual trans in the JK is friendly to drive.

The manual trans comes with hill-assist which is a software program that holds the brakes for you on steep hills so you can focus on taking off smoothly without rolling backwards. It's a neat and encouraging feature for those who want to drive stick but are fearful of getting going on hills and maneuvering other tight situations, like parallel parking on a hill, or crawling a technical object where rolling backwards could be disastrous.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

They're not to hard to learn on. I learned on a lifted jkur on 35s without powering steering so that was fun. I also taught my brother when he got his, you just gotta get a good feel for the clutch. Just weigh out all your options like commute, location, etc. The way I see it you'll be driving a jeep either way so it's a win win.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:45 AM
JK Super Freak

It's friendly drive and easy to learn with, more so if stock or close to stock.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

I've only driven manuals for the past 13 years and that ranges from anything from a Honda Civic to a Corvette Z06. I find my Jeep extremely easy to drive. The clutch is very smooth. Unlike the others, I turned off the hill assist. It might help if you're new to a manual, but I find the electronics quite annoying.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love my auto jk, but God knows I wish it were manual, if I was single it would be, but wife doesn't know nor want to learn to drive a manual. :-/

Sent from my Apple using iPhone.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I learned to drive manual years ago and I ended up turning off the hill assist. I found myself stalling it a few too many times because of that feature.

I'm not the best at driving the manual but it is really easy to learn. The JK is geared so low that you don't have to worry about going fast if you slip the clutch. It is not the greatest for mudding because of the giant gap in the bellhousing for the clutch dust.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the insight.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think carefully about getting manual just to save some money. I think wranglers are much more fun in manual don't get me wrong. But if you're not used to manual, and you daily drive in a lot of stop and go, you may regret it. Just a thought
Old 04-04-2014, 10:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I ever have kids, first they'll learn to pee in a toilet, and then they'll learn how to shift a manual transmission.

I don't know how everyone else feels, but I prefer a manual in heavy traffic. It gives me more control over the vehicle. Automatics are annoying to me after having driven manual trans vehicles for so long, but that's just my perspective. Autos have a purpose, but if you're looking to save some money and increase your Jeep's overall durability and everyone in the household can drive one, a manual is the way to go!

Quick Reply: Going from auto to manual?