Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

GGGRRRRR OUTRAGOUS Vendor PRICES

Old 07-19-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First things first. I myself would be fabricating all the parts soas for employees There would only be me. The over head for storage and rent for the shop, Sorry wouldn't have any as I would work from my Shop in the Backyard. Yes it would have all the necessarry Dies, Jigs, Presses, Brakes, Welders, Plasma Cutters, and so on and so forth. I predict that I could fabricate several products determining the difficulty level of each a day. Be it tube doors, Covers, Corner gaurds, Soft Doors Half doors or what not. Yeah they would be handbuilt and the wait time would be a lil longer than buying from other vendors but at half the cost and the assurance of even a lifetime gaurantee from defects. So I ask DON'T GET ALL EXCITED ALL THE SUDDEN, because it won't be anytime soon I get started on this venture And when I do it will be for the 2 door to begin with. I won't be doing any of this yet as I am currently not unable to due to my location and not the one on my info.... So just be paitent when I get back I will start the Venture to yes UNDER CUT the Larger Vendors..... Maybe they might get the hint to drop there over priced products.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bofer84
But, i dont think its the venders fault.
If it aint the Vendors Fault for Price setting then WHO????? Econmics classes Yes Business Law classes Yes, I have taken many classes for the better term to CYA (COVER YOUR ASS) I know most of the laws and price setting but if someone doesn't set a lower price to bring the larger Co.s down then they will stay at the price for yes S&D. A person can do demograpics on just about everything but to apply it in a real world situation it has various differences. I understand the the JK is still new and Blah Blah but to spend alot of time in doing R&D on certain things I can understand it requires alot of but lets all be realistic.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

I say GO FOR IT! This is what capitalism is all about. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

the only thing i can tell you is that if i was a vender, and i knew my prices were high, but people were buying the product faster then i could make it...i would be laughing the entire time. Good for them. they are in it to make a profit lol
Old 07-19-2008, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I appologize that I am not one for greed.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
seriously man, i don't know that it's GREED. i think that TJ parts have just come down so much since so many vendors out there are competing.

go try to build a teraflex front bumper. let me know how much time/$ you have into it.

How about rockers. you can't just toss a 90 degree bend on them anymore.
I plan on making my own Rockers because I dont see how you can justify 1/8 steel plate at almost $400.00 come on now I can see if it was a difficult thing to make but the bends in them are not that hard to replicate. As for a Bumper I just may make my own since there is only really one that I have seen on here that grabbed my attention. If it isn't gree then why Jack the prices up being no competition and then when more vendors come out with similar products end up lowering the prices HELLO???? Demographics/Supply and demand/ Lack of cometition/ Whatever. So after a few years when the JK craze fades away and Jeep comes out with the New so to say ZK I know the vendors/manufactures/and others will be jacking up prices for those products and this vicious cycle will as always repeat itself. But regardless I get a better feeling for myself when I know I am helping out a fellow friend that enjoys similar things I enjoy. I help my friends out if I am able and yes you can say I am stupid for not making alot of money off the profits to jack my prices to match the competitors prices. If I can keep my supplies and overhead down I can keep my prices down as well. Thats all I am saying.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by putnam dan
OK lets use your example and do the math.

Tube fender (for one)
and we are at $162.50 per fender, oh there are four of them = $650

Mounting hardware another $50 = $700

Now you can get these fenders for $800 so I think that is entirely reasonable. I did fab up a set myself and it cost me way more in time lost for when I could have been earning money doing my own job
Its around 400 per pair. so it would be more for 4

http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetail.aspx?partNo=PSC1702030&jeep-parts=true

Check for yourself....

If people were to read the thread they may have noticed that Me being a fabricator I do know what I am doing. However $75.00 per welding WOW where did you go. Welding is a skill and an art but after you get used to the different Amperages for the metals and trial an error you get the sense of what is and isn't going to work. Presses, benders cutters. welders and a shop, oh and very little overhead costs.... complete shop in backyrad. well anyways if I make my own products they will be what I like and will work for me.... you all have fun.

Last edited by Robar; 07-20-2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: PLEASE DON'T POST DIRECT NON SPONSOR LINKS.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

A jeep is a luxury item when it comes to modifications, aftermarket parts are priced as such. Then there is the whole supply and demand issue, unfortunatly that is the way of things. With the economy the way it is, it's only going to get worse as inflation goes up. Get your parts now!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's not a matter of how much I think I am worth. If I were to actually put a price on my work no one would be able to afford it. I am the type of person that will stop on the side of the road help someone change there tire and when they offer me money yes I decline it. If I work on a friends car I don't tell them what they owe me other than there friendship its up to them. as for me My shop, my tools, my rules. I am an honest person and I worked my ass off foreverything I own. So for me to justify it takes x amount to make something and then make a 400% profit on it is not being honest. I have been in retail, and wholesale. I do have some overhead yes. But as a 5k rent for the shop and the x amount for the electric and employees and the list can keep going I do not have. For me I can write off the electric, taxes on the property, tools, being that they are all for a small buisness. so in return I end up getting some money back that I used to get the business running... So when I do end up getting back from the sand box and start making my products we will see how long I can survive undercutting everyone elses price with a similar product.... With that being said I am tired and you all have a wonderful evening
Old 07-22-2008, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would just wait a few years til the prices go down. Pretty much anything new cost more than stuff that has been out for awhile no matter what the market. I feel your pain. There are several upgrades I want to make, but the cost is just too high at the moment.

Quick Reply: GGGRRRRR OUTRAGOUS Vendor PRICES