Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

GGGRRRRR OUTRAGOUS Vendor PRICES

Old 07-18-2008, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry GGGRRRRR OUTRAGOUS Vendor PRICES

What is the deal with all the aftermarket companies trying to rip people off. I think it is just down right greedy. I understand that it's nice to make oney for a product but damn even with R&D Quality Assurance and everything else that goes into designing a product it should not sale so that one is making 300.00 dollars of a product that costs maybe 20 in materials and then takes about a few hours to build I say its REDICULOUS. That was an example of the damn tube fenders. Then to bend tube for the doors. WTF how do they figure there prices 2-3 hundred for 2 doors WOW...... I am sorry I know I can fabricate all that and I guess it is just me wanting something for what it is worth and not what they think it should be. I am so half tempted to take and build my own crap buy in bulk the materials and make the to sell them so yes I do plan on making some profit but damn I am not greedy to where I will charge 15gabatrilzamillion dollars for something lol like my new word well I do. Wouldn't it be nice to buy a high quality product for almost dirt cheap with an outstanding warranty, to where you take it out of the packaging and install it you have no worries of it not fitting. call me oldschool or what not but when things go into mass production quality is lossed. yeah there would be a wait period on things but to know when you get it the product there is no doubt that it will do what it is supposed to do???????????? Im sorry but for me I am gonna make my own soft doors, tube fenders, half doors, Hell maybe even my own bumper using certain cues from other designs which is not infringement on any patents. Wow my lil rant turned into a damn long story. well anyways you all enjoy your JK's abide all offroad rules by treading lightly and always have fun at what you do...
Old 07-18-2008, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mutts08JK
What is the deal with all the aftermarket companies trying to rip people off. I think it is just down right greedy. I understand that it's nice to make oney for a product but damn even with R&D Quality Assurance and everything else that goes into designing a product it should not sale so that one is making 300.00 dollars of a product that costs maybe 20 in materials and then takes about a few hours to build I say its REDICULOUS. That was an example of the damn tube fenders. Then to bend tube for the doors. WTF how do they figure there prices 2-3 hundred for 2 doors WOW...... I am sorry I know I can fabricate all that and I guess it is just me wanting something for what it is worth and not what they think it should be. I am so half tempted to take and build my own crap buy in bulk the materials and make the to sell them so yes I do plan on making some profit but damn I am not greedy to where I will charge 15gabatrilzamillion dollars for something lol like my new word well I do. Wouldn't it be nice to buy a high quality product for almost dirt cheap with an outstanding warranty, to where you take it out of the packaging and install it you have no worries of it not fitting. call me oldschool or what not but when things go into mass production quality is lossed. yeah there would be a wait period on things but to know when you get it the product there is no doubt that it will do what it is supposed to do???????????? Im sorry but for me I am gonna make my own soft doors, tube fenders, half doors, Hell maybe even my own bumper using certain cues from other designs which is not infringement on any patents. Wow my lil rant turned into a damn long story. well anyways you all enjoy your JK's abide all offroad rules by treading lightly and always have fun at what you do...
I (respectful) suggestion is to make your own parts, and stop complaining already. You don't think these companies and their workers have to support a family and run a business at the same time? How much do you make a year? Have you ever done out the calculation to how much each person in a small company (which many of the aftermarket vendors are) needs for livelyhood and then factored that in to how much their parts cost and how much volume they do? Have you factored in all of the costs just for owning a business? I don't think you have. They don't do this just for a hobby (although I believe it is a large part) and I definately don't think they do it to rip you off.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes I have factord in that they need to support a family and a small business as I am a small buisness owner myself. It isn't a matter of ripping people off I did over exagerate on somethings but for materials and what not, I don't feel that things should be priced as they are or overpriced. To me it is more of a Monopoly of supply and demand being that you can oly purchase certain product from one vendor and then a different variation from another that has a bad rap on all or most of its products. Just because they love there products doesn't mean that they should charge an arm and a leg for it. and as for my income it is more than most people make when I plan on dropping a min of 13k in mods on my paid for jk.... I can make my own cosmetic parts for my Jeep and plan on it. However I just don't feel it to be right on some things THIS IS MY OPINION and that is what makes it so unique to be expressed and I know I don't just speak for my self on this forum....
Old 07-19-2008, 03:32 AM
JK Jedi

Yes, awesome parts, almost free, with a lifetime warranty, free shipping and free installation by the company would be great. Let me know when you start up this company and we'll do business.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

i would think if you didn't need any product liability insurance for your product and everything you own is in someone else name, the price of steel would drop you might be able to just compete against the mass produced products of large company's who are buying in bulk from china and using low cost labor
Old 07-19-2008, 05:40 AM
JK Super Freak

I think it's more about supply and demand than it is about ripping people off.

Demand is such that prices can be set where they are. If the prices were much lower the demand would be such that they couldn't keep production up to meet the orders. Then they'd have to step up production to meet demand and they'd lose quality in the process.

I could go on, but I think we all get the picture.

One example would be Shrock. If they'd charge MORE for their bumpers, skids, sliders, etc., then the demand would go down and they could have a shorter lead time on orders. Some people would still buy them 'cause they ARE great products, but not as many 'cause they'd price themselves out of some people's budgets. Their bottom line might not suffer much 'cause they'd make more for each of the ones they did sell 'cause they'd be charging more for them.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

---------
Old 07-19-2008, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

The fact of the matter is that certain products are priced so high and people are still waiting and waiting and waiting just so they can be told that it will be a lil while longer before it can be shipped out so they can wait longer. you get the part and it's like WTF it doesn't fit right/it's the wrong damn parts/ I had to modify this inorder to do that B.S. I have owned several different vehicles, modified them to mu likings restored a few trucks to one off customs and even on the aftermarket parts. I know it isn't just the JK parts its for almost every vehicle out there...BUt Damn when is to much TO MUCH????? Come on Vendors lets here your reasoning on your pricing? Me being a fabricator I know how much it costs to make somethings, and it isn't nearly as much as it is being sold for, Yes I know you need to cover your overhead but really do nearly all vendors need to get rich quick?????? Something I have never understood is why should one be so greedy and then supply a half assed product or service?. I guess I am just a naive young man who thinks you can still get decent people making low priced quality products??? Really whats the deal????
Old 07-19-2008, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mutts08JK
... Me being a fabricator I know how much it costs to make somethings, and it isn't nearly as much as it is being sold for, ... I guess I am just a naive young man who thinks you can still get decent people making low priced quality products???
Sounds good to me, so when does your first catalog come out? You have a lot of JK owners waiting to buy high quality, low priced parts from you. You'll be able to make a decent profit and prove your point at the same time.

Please don't forget the exceptional cutsomer service (hint #1: be sure to hire someone knowledgable to answer the phone & take orders and don't forget to factor this into your selling price; hint #2: when you pay your monthly rent or mortgage for your shop/factory, you'll need to add this into your selling prices; hint #3: word of mouth is a great and cheap way to reach potential customers, but ads are seen by 1000x more, so this has to go into the sale price; hint #4; I don't like working for free without benefits and you and your employees probably won't either, so add this on too.; hint #5, you get the idea by now, so anything further is just piling on.)

Good luck in your new endeavor!
Old 07-19-2008, 04:57 PM
JK Freak

supply and demand...didnt you ever take an economics class. Yea, the prices suck, and stuff the for the TJ is way way cheaper....stuff for the jk will go down eventually....there just needs to be more competition out there Were getting there but slowly. i feel ya on the price stuff, and so does everybody else to. It sucks. But, i dont think its the venders fault.

Quick Reply: GGGRRRRR OUTRAGOUS Vendor PRICES