Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Getting rid of a lease

Old 06-03-2009, 11:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is leasetrader too.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Aren't there credit report repercussions for getting out of a lease? I mean, if you need to do it then you need to, but just curious.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rpiotr01
Aren't there credit report repercussions for getting out of a lease? I mean, if you need to do it then you need to, but just curious.
You mean if you walked away from it? Hell yes, it'd be like a voluntary repo.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the help guys.
guess we will see how it goes.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what about an early buyout of the lease yourself if they would even do that might have to pay more but you may also loose less if it can be done, might be worth a call to the lease company.

I agree leasing now a days pretty much sucks unless you dont drive much and always just get another one but then you will always have a payment. I leased a 92 cherokee it was right before leasing started getting popular and when most leases were 4yrs, well at 4 yrs they BEGGED me to turn it in for a new one, would even wave the 40K mi I was over, I had 100K on it lol....they wanted it so bad because the buyout on it was 8200 and the blue book value was 13500, of course I bought it. Leasing has steadily gone down hill since, rarely do you see 15k mi a yr lease, actually I dont think there are any.

Last edited by tkob1060; 06-04-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tkob1060
rarely do you see 15k mi a yr lease, actually I don't think there are any.
They 15k and 20K leases are very common, you just don't see them advertised in lease "specials". You can do 15k for another ~$30 a month.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

1. Drive the heck out of it and keep it at lease end. What's the residual?
2. Swapalease
3. Buy an older Toyota, Honda or Crown Vic and drive that. Keep the Jeep till you can get rid of it. Of course, you'd have to weigh costs against what you'd owe for mileage at the end or what your buyout would be.

No dealer will let you slide on a 26mos remaining lease. Unless your payments are super low. What is your buyout?
Old 06-09-2009, 03:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea I agree with the others about trading at the dealer. That is what we did with my wife's Compass, and ended up with my 08 Rubi, didn't seem to be a problem . Gi
Old 06-09-2009, 03:54 AM
JK Newbie

Default This one is easy...

If you love your Jeep it's as easy as just refinancing the balance. Leases have payoffs the same as purchasing a vehicle through traditional financing, and you take no penalty. Also, after completing the refinance, feel free to start the mods! You don't have to worry about returning it in the same condition as you bought it! If you don't care for the Jeep, you could attempt to sell it. It can be sold the same way as if you had a traditional loan. Some companies offer 3rd-party leases (leases through a financial institution rather than through the manufacturer) but that would be the most complicated route... Leasing is a great idea for a lot of vehicles, although GM and Chrysler have both stopped offering leases now. It's a good choice on European cars like Audis, VWs, Porsche, and BMW (which are brands that I sell). Those cars have higher residual percantages and therefore offer lower payments. It's not uncommon to lease a vehicle with no down payment and get a payment between 20 and 25 percent lower than a 6yr loan. The easiest way to look at it is.... if it has lower than a 48% residual after 3yrs, 36,000, just buy it. If the residual is higher and you like a new car every couple years, lease it. Also, the tax incentives aren't only for leases. Any good accountant can get you the same incentives if you purchase.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Gi Joe
Yea I agree with the others about trading at the dealer. That is what we did with my wife's Compass, and ended up with my 08 Rubi, didn't seem to be a problem . Gi
Unless things are different in Canadia, you can't do that here. Chrysler sometimes used to have pull ahead programs that would take care of the remaining 2-3 payments, but other than that, you paid for the remaining payments whether or not you realized it. I sold Jeeps for years and I still work in the industry...

There's always the option of trading it in, but that rarely works out well unless you put a significant amount of money down and the vehicle in question has really good resale value.

Quick Reply: Getting rid of a lease