Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Getting rid of a lease

Old 06-03-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting rid of a lease

Hey guys,

I was hoping you could help me fill in some blanks. I currently have an 08 wrangler X signed for a 38 month lease. It has been 12. I just got a new sales job and am forced to drive about 3000 miles per month. The lease is only 15,000 per year.

What would be the best way to get out of it? can I sell the jeep or transfer the lease?
Old 06-03-2009, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkrat
Unfortunatly you take beating on the payoff I wentthrough it on a lease on my old F150,NEVER LEASE AGAIN YOU END UP WITH NOTHING
X2 There was a time when leasing made sense but not anymore. Seems only advantage now is for people acquiring vehicles that they really can't afford to buy.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

leasing is not a good idea for an individual -

but for a company (like mine) it makes great sense....

my company leases the vehicle for me and the lease payment is 100% deductible - additionally if a company leases the vehicle, then all the parts, service, gas and insurance is also 100% deductible -
Old 06-03-2009, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

what would happen if I found someone to take it over?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your best bet is probably to take it back to the dealer and see if they will let you trade it in on something different.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with azeeb. Go to the dealer and get a new car or just get another Jeep. Dealers are willling to make a deal right now and you probably won't take too much of a beating on the current lease if you negotiate well on the new vehicle.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

try the web site www. swapalease .com
Old 06-03-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your only options (other than defaulting or finding someone to take it over) are to trade it in or pay off the remaining payment. However, the payoff is going to be a lot more than the trade in value.

NEVER lease a vehicle unless you're sure that you aren't going to go over the miles you bought and that you won't need to get rid of it before the lease is over.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chefgotti
try the web site www. swapalease .com
X2 on swapalease. I was just about to say that. Good Morning America or one of those morning news shows did a piece on them. Works out for everyone; person getting out of a lease, person needing to lease, and the company cause they continue leasing out the vehicle
Old 06-03-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JKRINGO
X2 There was a time when leasing made sense but not anymore. Seems only advantage now is for people acquiring vehicles that they really can't afford to buy.
That's actually not true, lease payments aren't really much cheaper than retail payments. Leases are good for people who don't want to keep a vehicle for more than three years and don't mind having a car payment. Its better than financing it for a longer term and being way upside town when you try to trade out after a few years.

However, I do agree that with the much lower residual values these days most vehicles don't lease very well anymore so its starting to make less sense.

Quick Reply: Getting rid of a lease