Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Getting ready for winter

Old 09-11-2010, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone have a good winter kit setup? (straps, first aid, chains, etc?)
Old 09-12-2010, 10:46 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by steelzeppelin
anyone have a good winter kit setup? (straps, first aid, chains, etc?)
CHAINS....???!!!! ......such a dirty word.....lol I spent so much time dealing with chains as a kid in Tahoe, I hope I NEVER have to see another set of tire chains in my life. If I had to worry about chains again I never would have bought a jeep....
Old 09-12-2010, 03:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rpaulson
This will be my first year for having a wrangler in the winter.

All ready have my first aid kit, Recovery strap, warm weather clothes and Jumper pack together but what else?
You need to repost this at the end of November, I still have my roof and doors off!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jk may 15 2010 005..jpg
Views:	49
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	88327  
Old 09-12-2010, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Since I bought my Jeep a few months ago, I've been painting (on my days off) various parts of the underbody to prevent rust. The steering knuckes, drive shafts, exhaust, axles, and dozens of unprotected bolts & nuts have been thoroughly wire-brushed (when applicable) and painted. On the pipes I used 1200° paint and Rustoleum semi-gloss everywhere else.

Before Winter comes, I'm planning on covering the engine (and whatever else) with Boeshield T-9 rust preventative. Looking to get a tow strap, slush mats, possibly splash guards (mud flaps), and maybe tire chains if I can find them cheap. Already have a shovel mounted on the tailgate.

Quick Reply: Getting ready for winter