Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Getting ready for winter

Old 09-09-2010, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready for winter

This will be my first year for having a wrangler in the winter.

I have a stock 4 door with soft top.

Besides the normal fluid changes and basic maint is there anything I should start to do to get prepped for winter mechanical wise? Anything special for the soft top?

All ready have my first aid kit, Recovery strap, warm weather clothes and Jumper pack together but what else?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

You'll find the Jeep very winter capable right out of the box. You might consider picking up some winter tires but I use the KM's with no problems. As for the top, I have a hard top but from what I understand, just put some protectant on it and don't mess with it much over the winter because it gets a little brittle and you don't' want to tear anything like the windows.

Don't get me wrong, it not delicate enough to just rip on its own!!! A lot of people here run the soft top in cooler climes!

Oh and you're gonna start to love snow storms!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

I live and work in Buffalo, NY- you'll be fine as long as you resist the urge to scrape off ice from the soft top windows. Even with the flexible plastic bristles of a snow broom, they'll leave ever so faint scratches in the window material. It's better to let the warmth of the cabin heat melt the ice. That is what we call a "jeep thing" and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I live just up the highway in columbus... and none of my wranglers ever had hard tops.. ive had 2 JK's in the winter and never been cold inside...

definite 2X on the fact the soft top windows will scratch if you scrape them or brush them....

as for the soft top I always 303 it right before winter and then spray the salt off of it several times throughout...

then in spring a little simple green will clean it up like brand new....

the soft top is durable... ive even had the Sunrider open when it was in the low 40s and sunny outside without hurting anything...

-Christopher
Old 09-09-2010, 05:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Live in Pa so I know what you mean, we can have some nasty winters here.
The fluid changes and any top offs is a good idea, as well as the first aid kit and some straps, and all the other goodies you already have.
Tires pumped up to the correct presure.
Soft top well cleaned and protectet with a good amount of 303.
Good wash right before winter to include the undercarrage, and any touch up on scratches you might have under there.
A good coat of polish and wax to keep the exterior in good condition throughout the winter months.
And as was posted never use a brush to clean snow off the windows or body.
Man I love having our Jeeps in the winter, and so does the wife.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Floor mats that will contain the snow/water

Jeeps are notorious for the frame rusting. I Zebarted mine.

I've been one to WAX the hell out of it but I hear some people use a "sealer"? that is suppose to last through the winter.

a shovel that breaks down to a smaller size always helps.

You'll eventually neen a tow rope... no better time than now. You can help others out
Old 09-09-2010, 06:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Brian, i think you'll have alot of fun this winter. after you get used to the Jeep in the snow, it's a piece of cake. You'll be plenty warm in your softop. I ran mine like this for the past 3 years and it's been fine. Like others said, let the warmth melt away the snow and ice on the soft windows.

Getting underneath and touch up any rusty areas with rustoleum is a great idea, as is putting a few coats of wax on it to protect it from all that dam salt and grime.. hm... what else. it would be good to do any last mods you wanted to do, because trying to remove corroded bolts and stripped out plastic screws in the winter, is not nearly as fun as it is in the sweltering heat. Now is a good middle period to get those things like the grill mod, or changing your stock horn to something with some balls behind it.

Otherwise you're good to go. I have to get underneath and just spray the whole damn thing because my skid plates are scraped up...

Let me know if you're interested in coming wheeling with our group anytime in eastern ohio.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:20 PM
JK Newbie

if you are looking for a decent set of aggressive tread tires that are still good on wet/snowy roads, the duratracs are nice from what ive heard, lots of good siping.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you got yourself some of the Duellers on your JK...take them in to get sipped. Sipping the Duellers made a BIG improvement for snow/ice traction for starting and stopping on my 4door. Just 303 the snot out of your top to protect it good through the winter months.

Touch up any rock chips on your paint to prevent any rusting. You may want to add the Grill mod to your list of things if you get lots of gravel on the roads during the winter to protect your rad from pits and rock damage. Maybe invest in the IPF H4 headlights to improve visiblity during the winter months.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:26 PM
JK Jedi

Don't forget synth oil in the diffs....it was a BIG DIFFERENCE for me...

Oh and bite your tongue talkin' about winter already......lol

Quick Reply: Getting ready for winter