Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Getting ready to go topless & doorless

Old 02-13-2011, 11:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually head out with just the two front panels. Like XFactor said, not much water comes through the side, but water will make it it under the driver/passenger carpet. Water will also leak from the from where the top panels screw through the sound bar and onto your head/shoulders. I recommend a rain shell. You know people have to think you're crazy when you're driving past them on the freeway doorless.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RayHoliO
I just got my jeep this year.. I have dual tops, and a couple questions about summer use.

We've got a couple day trip planned in april in northern AR, and I would seriously like to leave my full doors at home, and just go.

April... It's bound to rain.

What do you guys use for your summer set-up? what tops and covers do you take, and recommend?

I could take the factory soft top.. but it won't cover the door openings.. So for overnight, I could get a trail cover... but it requires taking off the soft top to use it... right?

I could get a bikini top with a trail cover.. which would be easier for overnight..

I've seen an 'emergency rain guard' but it only covers the back doors....

Is there a way to carry the full sized stock doors on the jeep with me, without damaging them?? They seem sorta large for that..

How do you guys handle doorless / topless summer operations on trips?

Thanks in advance!
if you have the 4 door, you can fit the front doors actually in the back wiht the seats down. I took mine off, stood them up in the back (windows down), and bunjeed them to the rollbar throught the window. It was a tight squeeze at first...but the foam around the rollbar and carpet provided plenty of padding, and the bunjees kept them upright. Packed our gear inbetween the doors and let the wind flow. This is why I want the soft doors, then you can just pile them in the back and still keep the rain out.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Keeping the doors upright is key. Not sure of the whole mechanics but the stealership warned me about breaking the glass in the door if I put them in the back- so I never tried. X2 on wanting soft doors- I've taken them off HMMWVs and thrown them in the back- wish I could do the same with my jeep!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the bestop soft 2 piece doors. . pretty much once summer arrives, my full doors hang in the garage all summer.. and I keep the soft doors tossed in the back of the jeep for those just-in-case moments.. I have a bag that stores my windows so i can close the jeep all the way up if it looks to be a really bad storm... or long rain..

the soft doors keep out 80-90% of the water.. enough that you will stay pretty dry driving and nothing electronic will get ruined.. but if the jeep is parked in the rain with soft doors on ive had water drip in and fill up in the floor pans.. i just yank the drain plugs and am good to go...

-Christopher
Old 02-14-2011, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I REALLY like the idea of the soft doors.. but the price seems aweful high for what they appearantly are.... but I dunno.... maybe they're worth it.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Last year I pulled all my carpet and bedlined the interior. Once I did that, I turned my stock soft top into a bikini style top using the clover patch setup (http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=3633). Once I did that, the doors and windows were off all summer. I drove quite a bit in the rain and never really got that wet. If I had to go far, I just used rain pants and a rain coat. As long as it wasn't freezing cold, the doors stayed off
Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Clover patch doesn't work w/ 4 dr :/
Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't forget mirror relocation brackets. Some states and local areas are pretty strict about sideview mirrors. Plus it's a safety issue. I think the freedom panels are a good idea. They cover all the way to the doors without using the door surrounds. Hope you have fun on your trip!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

my bad on the clover patch suggestion. I got excited thinking about going doorless again and didn't read that you were 4dr.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firemarshal
Don't forget mirror relocation brackets. Some states and local areas are pretty strict about sideview mirrors. Plus it's a safety issue. I think the freedom panels are a good idea. They cover all the way to the doors without using the door surrounds. Hope you have fun on your trip!
Already got 'em

Quick Reply: Getting ready to go topless & doorless