Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Getting ready to go topless & doorless

Old 02-13-2011, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to go topless & doorless

I just got my jeep this year.. I have dual tops, and a couple questions about summer use.

We've got a couple day trip planned in april in northern AR, and I would seriously like to leave my full doors at home, and just go.

April... It's bound to rain.

What do you guys use for your summer set-up? what tops and covers do you take, and recommend?

I could take the factory soft top.. but it won't cover the door openings.. So for overnight, I could get a trail cover... but it requires taking off the soft top to use it... right?

I could get a bikini top with a trail cover.. which would be easier for overnight..

I've seen an 'emergency rain guard' but it only covers the back doors....

Is there a way to carry the full sized stock doors on the jeep with me, without damaging them?? They seem sorta large for that..

How do you guys handle doorless / topless summer operations on trips?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh one more set of related questions... Are neoprene seat covers highly recommended? or do the OEM seats dry out fairly quick?

Also.. Mud Flaps.. When running doorless, I would just assume not be pelted with debris, and mud... Do the flaps help?

And finally.. Security. I know someone who wants in, WILL get in.. but what's the best jk 'trunk' available? weather resistance on that?
Old 02-13-2011, 12:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RayHoliO
Oh one more set of related questions... Are neoprene seat covers highly recommended? or do the OEM seats dry out fairly quick?

Also.. Mud Flaps.. When running doorless, I would just assume not be pelted with debris, and mud... Do the flaps help?

And finally.. Security. I know someone who wants in, WILL get in.. but what's the best jk 'trunk' available? weather resistance on that?
the tuffy trunk is probably the best out, and you can use the duster http://www.quadratec.com/products/11154_023X_PG.htm to keep it dry. id skip the mud flaps, unless your local law is strict on them. the front tires are more likely to kick up mud and water into the jeep than the rears. ive had my interior rained on and it dried out quickly in the sun. id be more concered about the radio and other electronics. check out the best top covers http://www.quadratec.com/products/11186_0209_07.htm.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yank out the carpet and bedliner the interior!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pick up a vehicle cover, the waterproof tarp kind. They are inexpensive and cover the whole Jeep down past the doors. Best part is you can throw it on in about 30 seconds with practice. Great for when you get caught in a rolling rain shower topless and doorless. Best under $50 Jeep purchase I have made.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Going out to Devil's Den?
Old 02-13-2011, 06:33 PM
KEY
JK Newbie

Come down to Hot Springs, AR March 18 and 19. There will be about 75 JKs from TX there. Send me a PM if you want more info. It rained on us last year and some didn't have there tops with them, so they got wet. Several had some type of trail top. I kept my soft top on. Kiddos are welcome at the Superlift park.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Actually, I'm planning a trip to Beaver Lake / Eureka springs.... I havn't gotten around to looking for good trails.. I figured there had to be some there though!

Devils den looks like a good trip. and I'd love to go to Hot springs... but it's like a 5 hour trip.. pretty hard to commit to that, solo... I'm not part of any jeeping groups yet.. otherwise it might be a cool trip!

What I'm thinking is that I'll take my OEM soft top, front freedom top panels, and a Jeep cover for parking. I still havn't decided on the doors... is there any such thing as a Hitch rack that can carry doors on the highway, and back roads? (not for trail use.)
Old 02-13-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say just go. I've been in the rain lots of times without the doors and sometimes without the top. The front actually stays dry over 30mph without the top. I never had much spray come in from the side. Now with the new setup this summer it could be different...

Your other alternative is when we go out to Moab, the doors are on until we get there. When we camp the doors just stay in the tent while we're gone.

Why bring the freedom panels?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

The FT panels work like the bikini top... The factory soft top is appearantly very noisy when it's up with doors off....

& Yeah... I had considered that... but the roads there are rural and curvy.. The journey would be much more pleasurable without the doors....

Quick Reply: Getting ready to go topless & doorless