Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

which gears?

Old 11-25-2009, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry, but im young...and i really have no idea what any of that means..
a friend of mine told me i had dana44s in my jeep. idk if thats true or not..but thats what he said.
just lettin u guys know i have no idea about this stuff..my first jeep...only 18.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LaxAHolic
sorry, but im young...and i really have no idea what any of that means..
a friend of mine told me i had dana44s in my jeep. idk if thats true or not..but thats what he said.
just lettin u guys know i have no idea about this stuff..my first jeep...only 18.
Understood, however at 18 I built two engines so I can't relate

Likely you have a Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear axle. Rubicons (I think) are the only to have D44's front and rear. You MUST have the same gear ratio in the front and rear axle. Therefore your choice is 5.13 which is the lowest (highest numerically) you can get. Thats what you want.

The higher the number ring and pinion, the easier it is to move the vehicle. However it will also rev higher while cruising. Most JKs will sacrifice a little cruising rpm, for the low end power of the lower (higher number) gear ratios.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

so will it help mileage and power? i dont do too much highway driving, but ill be headin off to college and my dads tryin to shove a sedan on me thats better for "driving"
Old 11-25-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

i dont tihnk ill ever go larger than 35s...but who knows.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should help city mileage. Possibly highway but it is a give an take as far as pulling grades versus flat driving. Your Dad is right, a lifted Jeep is not a "practical vehicle" when it comes to mileage. Comes with the territory.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LaxAHolic
so will it help mileage and power? i dont do too much highway driving, but ill be headin off to college and my dads tryin to shove a sedan on me thats better for "driving"
In the FAQ section, you will see a gear ratio chart. As long as you stay within the optimal range you will see the best mpg's. If it's geared too high or too low, the mileage will drop.

My dad always told me to get a honda or toyota sedan. I don't know what's wrong with that guy.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:40 PM
JK Freak

lol

Quick Reply: which gears?