Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Gas Saver Thing

Old 02-06-2007, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

supfreak26..do you have 3:21 or 4:10 gears? I bought a 2 dr and found out it was not going to work for me and traded (took my beating) for an Unlimited. The 2 door had 4:10's and got the same mileage as this 4 door with 3:21's. I miss the power of the 4:10 and am considering the gear swap since I am seeing no benifits. Dealer is putting together a bid for me today.
Jim
Old 02-06-2007, 10:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to start to pour energy drink or redbull in the gas tank to see what that does.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would sure like to see an air/fuel chart through the RPM"S under a load with the stock programming, and I would like to see it for one of these 24 mpg JK's and one of the 16 mpg JK's. Sure is a wide range. I have tried taking it real easy and driving 55 etc. etc. without success. There has to be a reason (maybe the secret is RedBull or recycled Jim Beam in the tank) for this wide variation.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

I actually made one from some really powerful magnet i baught at radio shack and put it on my old TJ, I did notice the MPG's go up a bit. They sell the real ones at harbor frieght and i think i'll pick one up next time i'm there to see if it works on the JK, if it does. i'll be sure to post something up.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubidozer
Yep, it's the Fuel Magnet. I have one on my Tacoma and it works. It zipties on the fuel-line and reduces carbon by atomization causing cleaner fuel. I get 1 to 1.5 mpg better than before, but I really notice the extra power. It's like having 91 octane, when I'm buying 87. It also keeps my throttlebody, fuel injectors, and sparkplugs really clean. I know this because I regularly inspect the top-end of my engine after hard offroading.
It's a Rare-Earth Magnet. I got mine from J.C.Whitney catalog.
I'm not sure I understand your comparison. Higher octane gas has nothing to do with power. Higher octane gasoline simply is harder to ignite. This is why you need to run it in high compression engines...so they don't pre-ignite before the spark plug sparks. Compression can ignite the fuel (this is how diesel engines work) without spark. You can run race fuel in your engine and it will not give you any more power then if you ran pump gas...it will simply cost you more. The pinging you hear about when too low of octane is ran is simply your cylinders pre-detonating.

I'm also curious what atomization is. Putting a magnet next to gas does absoultely nothing to the atoms of the fuel. Gas is made up of complex mixture of hydrocarbons which a magnet does not have the ability to split. Furthermore they are not mettalic in nature so a magnet does not have the ability to align or even move them.

I am by no means doubting your findings...my curious engineering brain would like some more data as to what atomization is and the chemical process that occurs from the magnet that makes fuel have more 'energy' in it so that when it burns it gives off more power.

Medsker
Old 02-06-2007, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

The theory is about ionization and polarization. The web is full of articles for and against it. No experience personnaly, but I have a tendency to cry "snake oil". It would be great to find out I'm wrong because I too could have these increases for $19.95. I think a better solution would be a custom program for each ECU and engine that optimizes air/fuel ratios.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

You want to spend money to get better fuel economy?

Buy some extra fuel and stick it in the tank.

If you want better mileage, get a Scion. You want a Jeep, you pay a little for it. (^_^)
Old 02-06-2007, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jameswharton
The theory is about ionization and polarization. The web is full of articles for and against it. No experience personnaly, but I have a tendency to cry "snake oil". It would be great to find out I'm wrong because I too could have these increases for $19.95. I think a better solution would be a custom program for each ECU and engine that optimizes air/fuel ratios.
Well that makes more sense then doing something to the molecules but I still don't understand how ionizing or polarizing hydrocarbons gives them more energy or rather makes them burn with more efficiency giving the engine more power so that it propels it further giving it better fuel economy. I don't know the percentage of the fuel that gets burned in a cylinder but isn't over 98%? If this is the case you can only get 2% more efficient before you've created a perpetual motion machine (I thought I had once but a slinky on an escalator didn't count ).

Like I said just curious.

Medsker
Old 02-06-2007, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

My Jk is doing great in comparision to my YJ. JK on the road from GA to south FL got 19.6 - 20.5, my YJ is lucky if it gets 10 (it may have something to do with the size of the tires and my foot though)
Old 02-06-2007, 10:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rubidozer
Yep, it's the Fuel Magnet. I have one on my Tacoma and it works. It zipties on the fuel-line and reduces carbon by atomization causing cleaner fuel. I get 1 to 1.5 mpg better than before, but I really notice the extra power. It's like having 91 octane, when I'm buying 87. It also keeps my throttlebody, fuel injectors, and sparkplugs really clean. I know this because I regularly inspect the top-end of my engine after hard offroading.
It's a Rare-Earth Magnet. I got mine from J.C.Whitney catalog.
Ohh dear. Reminds of those fan/tornado things being flogged on TV at night.

Or those "superchips" that are sold on eBay for $7

Or those huge WINGS the kids put on their civics

~chewy

Last edited by chewymatt; 02-06-2007 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Gas Saver Thing