Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Garvin roof rack damaging my jeep

Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garvin roof rack damaging my jeep

I have a garvin wilderness roof rack installed on my jeep. I just noticed this week that the sheet metal has started cracking where the rear support arms bolt to the jeep.

The repair: I am going to have the cracks welded closed and then put on corner guards to add extra support. I like the off road evolution rear steel fenders. I want to keep my factory fender flares so I am waiting a couple of weeks for EVO to put into prodution a version that will work with the factory fender flares.

Give me some feedback on my repair solution. If anyone has a better idea let me know thanks.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ARubicon
I have a garvin wilderness roof rack installed on my jeep. I just noticed this week that the sheet metal has started cracking where the rear support arms bolt to the jeep.

The repair: I am going to have the cracks welded closed and then put on corner guards to add extra support. I like the off road evolution rear steel fenders. I want to keep my factory fender flares so I am waiting a couple of weeks for EVO to put into prodution a version that will work with the factory fender flares.

Give me some feedback on my repair solution. If anyone has a better idea let me know thanks.
Sounds like a good repair plan. It was what crossed my mind for a solution before I read your idea! I'd like to see pics of the damage.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

I'll follow up with:

Old 07-17-2009, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

x3 on pics... I'm looking at roof racks to add to my list.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I knew that was comming, so here are some pics. It is reall hard to get a pic of the crack that you can actually see. The crack has developed behind the rear support arms of the roof rack. See pics below to get the idea.

Here is a pick of the crack, not sure if you can really see it or not but you get the idea. It is about 1/2" long and has opened up about an 1/8".
[IMG][/IMG]

Pic of the jeep you can see the support arms for the roof rack. I dont have it on right now it just connects with bolts. I take it off in the summer to lighten my load and I only use it during hunting season.
[IMG][/IMG]

Pic of my winter setup, roof rack is on along with doors and hard top.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-17-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Hate to here that, I like the look of their specialty rack (expensive), it only covers the main part of the hard top, not the freedom panels. Have you contacted Garvin? They might want to know that to help improve.

Side note: you get much wind noise (whistling, etc)from that rack?

I'm trying to figure out how to travel, with my family, in the Jeep, and have room for luggage. Thinking between trailer, and one of these....
Old 07-18-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Side note: you get much wind noise (whistling, etc)from that rack?

I'm trying to figure out how to travel, with my family, in the Jeep, and have room for luggage. Thinking between trailer, and one of these....[/QUOTE]

Yes you do get some wind noise, that is part of the reason i take it off in summer when the soft top is on. You can also feel it on really windy days when traveling at high speeds.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

bump............
Old 07-25-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

That sucks...Do you think it was a problem with the weight of the load? Or just weak body? Probably a combination if I had to guess...
Old 07-27-2009, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

i think mostly weak body, but also i remove the rack in the summer and that allows the supports to move more. I think that probably contributed.

Quick Reply: Garvin roof rack damaging my jeep