Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

G.M. and Chrysler Explore Merger?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are still a lot of Hummer haters here........ and that's fine.

Many Jeepers have never wheeled with any Hummers at all.

I have wheeled with Jeeps plenty and I like them, if we are talking about Wranglers.

The Hummers (all of them) will outperform Jeeps IFS rigs (which is every thing other than the Wrangler).

As far as any merger goes........ GM recognizes the Wrangler (for lack of a better term...... CJ, YJ, TJ, JK) as the niche vehicle it is.....it is an icon. They would not be stupid enough to put IFS underneath it.

Much of GM's stupidity (IMO) comes from their marketing division. They killed Hummer with their MTV style marketing (popular trends run their courses very quickly), much different than how Jeep has been marketed for decades.

Nobody knows if this will happen....... but if it does...... GM would respect Jeep. It is true that they have wanted it for a long time. Before Daimler bought Chrysler GM had attempted to purchase Jeep outright.

By the way, my H2 and H3 are nearing the end of their factory warranties and I have 0 complaints about them. They run great and have been abused hard since they were brand new.

GM builds great American vehicles.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default GM and Jeep is a good match!

GM and Jeep is a good match!
Old 10-14-2008, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

They better not.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:00 PM
JK Junkie

Hard to believe if it were to happen.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Super Freak

I heard it on the news when we were eating b-fast at the JK fest...
Old 10-14-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I heard the same thing in the wee hours of Saturday morning while travelling. At that time they said the Nissan deal may have more of a possibility of becoming a reality since GM is doing so poorly as of late.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ruggedh2
There are still a lot of Hummer haters here........ and that's fine.

Many Jeepers have never wheeled with any Hummers at all.

I have wheeled with Jeeps plenty and I like them, if we are talking about Wranglers.

The Hummers (all of them) will outperform Jeeps IFS rigs (which is every thing other than the Wrangler).

As far as any merger goes........ GM recognizes the Wrangler (for lack of a better term...... CJ, YJ, TJ, JK) as the niche vehicle it is.....it is an icon. They would not be stupid enough to put IFS underneath it.

Much of GM's stupidity (IMO) comes from their marketing division. They killed Hummer with their MTV style marketing (popular trends run their courses very quickly), much different than how Jeep has been marketed for decades.

Nobody knows if this will happen....... but if it does...... GM would respect Jeep. It is true that they have wanted it for a long time. Before Daimler bought Chrysler GM had attempted to purchase Jeep outright.

By the way, my H2 and H3 are nearing the end of their factory warranties and I have 0 complaints about them. They run great and have been abused hard since they were brand new.

GM builds great American vehicles.
Yes the do. I can't imagine how things would change if they were to be bought out by one of the foreign contenders.

No offense to anyone who loves Mopar, but it's funny they never had much hand in the drivetrain of Jeep until lately.

Here's to AMC for one of the most bulletproof in-line sixes in history

Some trivia from ofroaders dot com:

..........These articles were originally written to cover only engines used in CJs, YJs, TJs, and their military brethren.

AMC 242(4.0L) I6: The 242(4.0L) I6 engine is used in late 80s XJs and MJs and in 90s YJs, ZJs, and TJs.

AMC 150(2.5L) I4: The 150(2.5L) I4 engine was used in mid 80s CJ-5s and CJ-7s, through to the YJs, XJs, MJs, and TJs.

GM 151 I4: The GM Pontiac 151 I4 engine was used in early 80s CJ-5s and CJ-7s.

AMC 304 V8: The AMC 304 V8 engine was used in 70s and 80s CJ-5s, CJ-7s, Cherokees, Wagoneers, and pickups.

AMC 258 I6: The AMC 258 I6 engine was used in 70s and 80s CJ-5s, CJ-7s, Cherokees, Wagoneers, and pickups.

AMC 232 I6: The AMC 232 I6 engine was used in 70s CJ-5s, CJ-7s, Cherokees, Wagoneers, and pickups.

Buick 225 V6: The "Dauntless" 225 V6 engine was used in CJ-5s, CJ-6s, and Jeepster/Commandos.

Kaiser 230 I6: The "Tornado" 230 I6 engine was used in Willys pickups, Willys Wagons, M715s, M725s, early Wagoneers, and early full size pickups.

Perkins 192 I4: The Perkins 192 I4 diesel engine was used in '61-'65 CJ-5s and CJ-6s. Very few CJs were actually produced with this optional engine.

Willys 134 I4 F-Head: The "Hurricane" 134 I4 engine replaced the L-Head in Willys pickups and Willys Wagons. It also was used in M38-A1s, M170, CJ-3Bs, CJ-5s, CJ-6s, and FC trucks.

Willys 134 I4: The "Go Devil" 134 I4 engine was used in MBs, M38s, CJ-2As, CJ-3As, DJ-3As, Willys Wagons, Willys Pickups, and VJs.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

I doubt they will merge in any way. Unless, of course, the gov't doesn't pony up more $ and gas prices begin to climb, then you might see it.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:06 PM
JK Newbie

I wouldn't be happy. Neither Nissan nor Chrysler are known for their incredible reliablity. I am biased though. I owned a 2K3 Crew Cab+Ext bed. The thing was like owning a Land Rover. Always having issues that could never get resolved; steering never aligned, parking brake always coming loose, windshield wipers striking the A pillar, transmission seals hemoraging and etc. I complained to Nissan Corp after the dealership began to ignore my issues and the dealer's response was to try and 'fire me' as a customer.

I love the look of the new Frontiers, but don't know if I could buy another. All well, I am sure others have had good experiences w/Nissan.

So far w/my Jeep all is good.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:06 AM
JK Jedi

The Nissan thing has been out there as well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Quick Reply: G.M. and Chrysler Explore Merger?