Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

G.M. and Chrysler Explore Merger?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More troubling news today.. GM has halted talks to acquire Chrysler because it just posted huge losses and may just run out of cash by year-end. Well, as all the Chrysler merger / acquisition talks were going on, I kind-of favored GM taking it over as Chrysler would stay here in the US. However, GM has since made it clear that if a merger goes through, it intends to close half of Chrysler's factories and rid itself of redundant models. In other words, we can all kiss the Jeep Brand goodbye. Apparently since GM can no longer afford to buy it, Chrysler / Cerberus is once again in talks with everybody and their buddies. I read in one online article that HYUNDAI.. .. of all companies is in talks to buy the Jeep Brand. UMM yeah, once again we can all kiss the Jeep Brand goodbye. After further reading up on all this, I sure as h*ll hope if any talks are successful, they are with Nissan. Sucks that it's not a US company, but they've said they have no intentions of acquiring Chrysler, but just to buy a stake in the company and collaborate on manufacturing. Let's hope a Nissan deal goes through, if ANY.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

To sell an American icon to the people that it was developed to fight against is wrong.Too much of America is already overseas.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chryler could be a perfect fit for Hyundai as they have no truck division, chrysler are already using engines developed by Hyundai. There is no question that it would be a shame for the American auto industry to be purchased by foreign manufacturers but we now live in a global economy that we created ourselves, we buy foreign products every day to save a buck and often perceived quality. Jeep will survive under someone elses stewardship but it is the only barganing chip Cerberus has in order to get anything for the rest of the crap they build. Jeep will always be an American Icon regardles of where the ownership lies.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:13 AM
Former Vendor

Did we all forget that Jeep was foreign owned for quite a few years under Daimler?
Old 11-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Former Vendor

I thought this was appropriate considering the discussion on GM and Chrysler.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:39 AM
JK Jedi

Sounds like the merger talk is back on, being reported on the news.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
Sounds like the merger talk is back on, being reported on the news.
interested to see what happens
Old 12-18-2008, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just saw on CNN they're talking again...very curious to see if anything actually comes of it
Old 12-18-2008, 05:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, they WILL merge before they go under. You can BANK on that. I think Jeep wil survive regardless.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Super Freak

I am not really that worried about Jeep. It will survive one way or another. The Jeep Wrangler is too damn popular.

Quick Reply: G.M. and Chrysler Explore Merger?