Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

G.M. and Chrysler Explore Merger?

Old 11-01-2008, 04:40 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've made the point before, but it bears repeating that in today's global market it doesn't matter as much where the company is owned by where the company does its work. GM is pushing outside of America and Nissan is pushing in.

One thing that got me thinking on the GM-Cerberus deal this morning. Isn't Cerberus an investment bank? If they were so confident on the deal couldn't they loan the money to GM instead of getting the government involved?
Old 11-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Former Vendor

I agree it'll mean layoffs but that is inevitable when demand is down like it is. But less so if two companies become one. Don't forget they own half of GMAC. I'm just saying they could make this happen on their own.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cerberus buys companies and sells them in whole or part for profit. They do own 51% of GMAC and are after a larger portion so they can get redesignated to a bank/financial institution that is eligible for the government handout.

Make no mistake about Cerberus's intentions. They've always intended to move Chrysler off their books.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tgrt
I've made the point before, but it bears repeating that in today's global market it doesn't matter as much where the company is owned by where the company does its work. GM is pushing outside of America and Nissan is pushing in.
GM is pushing out since they can't compete with the foreign labor. Toyota and Nissan have only been pushing in to get the masses approval. To make you think they are good that they are creating jobs. Once GM, Ford and Chrysler are gone they will go back to where they came from and there will be ZERO auto manufacturing in the US. I don't want to see that happen. Once that does happen you are stuck, you will have to buy their foreign made cars since there won't be an alternative.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Former Vendor

I'm sorry but I see that as propaganda from the big three. Companies like Nissan have invested billions in facilities here. They're not going to abandon them especially considering if the time did happen when the big three were gone then the labor would be cheap here anyway.

But, let me be clear that I don't want them to fold either. I would like to see some patriotism out of them. (And I agree wholeheartedly with your tag line in your signature.)
Old 11-02-2008, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Has anybody seen this article?
http://www.newsweek.com/id/166659
Sad, but looks like Chrysler has one foot in the grave!
Glad I leased!!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Chrysler could actually be the one to survive this mess. The govt would be crazy to lend the current management of the auto industry anything. GM will be the first to go and you will see a nationalized auto industy as the US can't afford to lose that many jobs.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Makes no sense...today on CNN

http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/07/news...ion=2008110711
Old 11-07-2008, 06:28 PM
JK Super Freak

aren't dykes used to thumbs?

ya anyhow enough about holland

ya GM to be out of money by 2009 don't see them buying up Chrysler LLC
Old 11-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by WRAITHYJEEP
...ya GM to be out of money by 2009 don't see them buying up Chrysler LLC
The whole thing is a joke. See, GM doesn't want to buy Chrysler. They want the government to buy it for them as a Christmas gift.

Quick Reply: G.M. and Chrysler Explore Merger?