Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The future of the wrangler.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhumpty
The "requirements" don't keep you from selling a car that doesn't hit them. It penalizes you the amount over the required avg mpg of the fleet you produce. Bottom of the page explains it:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/rules/CAFE/overview.htm

Anyway, the Wrangler will continue to be pushed out the door by "Chrysler" simpley because even with the CAFE requirements it still makes enough money. And tbh, I wouldn't mind the CAFE standards if they lowered the safety requirements. Making a car be built out of foam but sturdy enough to withstand a major off center hit doesn't quite go hand in hand does it

Frankly I'd rather us fix the whole tree problem instead of only trying to squeeze out more fuel economy. Like telling the bro's in Apollo 13 to breath less while ignoring the Co2 scrubbers :/

That info may or may not apply going forward, based on the rhetoric that has been spouted by those running the show. Food for thought. I don't consider the Wrangler dead by any means, but wouldn't be shocked if it got the axe. More than likely, there will indeed be a "Wrangler" in the future, but don't be shocked if it's watered down to meet higher targets (IFS, etc.). 90+% of the Jeep buying public probably wouldn't care or know the difference.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:13 PM
JK Freak

If it weren't for all the soccer moms out there buyin Wranglers then those of us need a Wrangler might not get one.

Better dana 30, new, bigger D44 in the rear, wider, better riding, stiffer, stronger frame, 4 doors, electric windows, door locks, the best hard top system yet, and it STILL has a removable hardtop! Badass. STILL has removeable doors. Badass! STILL has a drop down window (even if I'll never drop it), Badass! STILl has solid axles F&R, Larger 5" lug pattern then the TJ, 32" tires stock on a rubicon, electric sway disconnect, lockers from and rear, gets better mileage than a TJ, curved front glass, more splines on the axles, bigger u joints. Fits 35" tires easily, longer control arms, much longer. Decent skids underneath, STILL has a manual transfer case, X model comes with larger 241 t-case, 4:1 transfer case, lockers front and rear, bigger, stronger steering components, Roll cage with padding, DDDAAAAAMMM, Jeep thankyou thankyou thankyou. A world without a JK would be a sad place indeed.

Of course there are things that Jeep should have done to make a better 4 wheeler but then again, it might have appealed less to the soccer moms that are making the JK such a hit.

Put another way, what's a better 4 wheeler off the showroom floor? nuthin even comes close . . .
Old 07-14-2009, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

Amen to that brother! My feelings exactly. I just sold my '97 capable TJ for an '09 Rubicon Unlimited because I still like to play but am a dad with two little girls and appreciate some creature comforts. It was a joke trying to strap carseats into the back of the TJ, let alone not very safe. It's nice to be able to share the trails with the family from time to time. Thank goodness the soccer moms buy enough or they would cost the rest of us $80,000 a piece in limited production runs. In other words... they wouldn't be built or sold. Here's another way to look at it. I personally know a soccer mom that bought a Rubicon Unlimited because that's what was driven in that cheesy vampire movie. When she misses her Tahoe comfort some Jeeper out there will get a sweet deal on a lightly used JK Rubicon! LOL
Old 07-15-2009, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrhumpty
The "requirements" don't keep you from selling a car that doesn't hit them. It penalizes you the amount over the required avg mpg of the fleet you produce. Bottom of the page explains it:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/rules/CAFE/overview.htm

Anyway, the Wrangler will continue to be pushed out the door by "Chrysler" simpley because even with the CAFE requirements it still makes enough money. And tbh, I wouldn't mind the CAFE standards if they lowered the safety requirements. Making a car be built out of foam but sturdy enough to withstand a major off center hit doesn't quite go hand in hand does it

Frankly I'd rather us fix the whole tree problem instead of only trying to squeeze out more fuel economy. Like telling the bro's in Apollo 13 to breath less while ignoring the Co2 scrubbers :/

X2
Old 07-15-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by slow2run
All the above was reported by CAB to Chrysler/Jeep two weeks back ,and they do care
Um - I would have to say they don't care. My opinion based on my experience with Chrysler - not speaking for others.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JEEPSHANE
so i have just finished writing a lengthy, informative, and stern letter to jeep
discussing issues such as the future of the JK and where jeep is headed, and where they have come from. including topics such as a new engine. including such options as a V8, or a deisel,(something larger than that 2.8). also regarding how, maybe they should hire a bright young advisor, that REALLY GO'S WHEELIN!!!
so that he can inform them on such things as, not to put mirrors on the doors.
and not to put a weak a$$ electric engine in the the vehicle that sets the standard for off roading, just to say a few. also brought to the table an idea to post on jeep.com a poll/comment box on what WE want, instead of them TELLING us what we want. our ideas are what count, we are the heart and soul of their corporation.
for them not to forget that we the poeple are the reason they have any buisness at all. I informed them to "soften" any of the other vehicles they have, BUT TO LEAVE OUR WRANGLER ALONE! a wrangler is supposed to be stiff! supposed to be uncomfortable! these are the side effects of having the best off road vehicle on the market. so do your JK community a favor and e-mail jeep and speak your mind!
tell them what you would like to see. if enough of us give them a peice of our mind we can save jeep. we can save the wranglers image before they overhaul it to a complete soccer mom mobile.
Sucks that you wasted so much time. They don't listen to letters like that. You'll get some generic response that doesn't address anything.

Quick Reply: The future of the wrangler.