Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Future JK owner intro and questions..

Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future JK owner intro and questions..

Hello all, I have been lurking for a while now and I will start out by saying you guys have a great website here.

I am getting real close to starting negotiations with numerous dealers on the purchase of a 08 Unlimited Rubicon. I really want a 6 speed with bare minimum amenities; Hard Top, Tow Package, and perhaps the My Gig; just because the wife is evil, and has a fit whenever I upgrade anything…It has never stopped me in the past but it would be one less thing have to hear about. Little does she know…

I have managed to locate 40 2008 Rubicon’s within a 250 mile radius of my dwelling. Out of the 40, only 5 are of the 6 speed variety. And not a single one with the bare options that I am looking for; but a couple are close enough that they should work just fine, dang power windows/locks…

I have read all of the horror stories about the factory soft tops leaking beyond what one might consider reasonable; so I gather money would be better spent on an aftermarket full soft top, or bikini top if deemed necessary in the future; that combined with the fact that I have several heavy winter months to deal with, so the factory hard top seems to be an important option considering the price of an aftermarket hard top.

Are there any options that you wished you would have gotten that maybe you didn’t? I am open to all suggestions. I have found several automatics that are closer to my desired list of options, and many more that have everything but the kitchen sink; but, about 70% of the vehicles I have owned in my lifetime have been manuals. Any of you guys that have always had manuals make the switch to an automatic and found it to be just as enjoyable to drive, if not more so? Is transmission strength a concern with either the auto or manual or are they both fairly solid? I know many have suggested that the auto might be better for rock crawling; but is this purely ones opinion?

I am going to try and negotiate invoice or below pricing, there seems to be no shortage of Rubicon’s in my neck of the woods so I am optimistic that it shouldn’t be a problem. If so, does anyone know if there a list of company’s where their employees qualify for the supplier discount? I am not aware of any family or friends that can get me supplier # but you never know.

I look forward to the day when I can post up pics of my new ride, until then thanks for any pre-purchase advice you might want to offer.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an auto and love it. I grew up driving manual trans. Its all about what you want and will be happy with driving everyday. The auto is better on trails IMO but the manuals get 1-2 mpg's better from what I have heard, because of the 6th gear. I say drive both first and then make your decision on what you prefer. Good Luck and happy hunting!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ive had both auto and standards, but where I spend upwards of 8 hours one way every now and then traveling down to PA and VA, the auto is far more convienent. though its a jeep, and feels more like a jeep with the standard. I opted for auto just for the roadtrip ease. thats just my .02.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

As I have mentioned in other threads, I can recommend the following two resources for new buyers.

The first is Fighting Chance and James Bragg, who has written a book on competitive bidding for auto purchases. Bragg is a big proponent of faxing dealerships to get competitive pricing, and talks about all of the lesser-known aspects of auto deals, like understanding the holdback.

I typically go through CarBargains, which essentially provides the same service as a non-profit business. CarBargains has been pretty successful in getting prices close or below invoice on my previous Jeep purchases. Essentially, they find the cheapest price, then you use their info to drive the price down further (if possible), go in, have the dealer find your vehicle if it's not in stock, and sign the papers.

You might already be aware of these resources, but I'm always surprised at how many people still negotiate 1:1 inside the dealership. Maybe there are some good negotiators out there, but I've gotten much better numbers using these methods.

Quick Reply: Future JK owner intro and questions..