Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Full size spare tire/wheel on '08 saharas?

Old 07-19-2007, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full size spare tire/wheel on '08 saharas?

Is the spare that comes with the '08 saharas the same as the other 4 wheels/tires 32"/18"? Is it true the '08 won't come with tire covers? Is it possible to order a khacki/green sahar cover that fits the tire?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck...My '06 didn't even come with a tire cover.
I think that they are an option you have to either buy, or coherse the dealer to throw in.
Although I have seen many jeeps that had tire covers on them (The el'cheapo ones) with the dealers name on them which were most likely thrown in for free.

Other wise I believe you have to buy it.
Maybe someone else knows for sure.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Agree. If you want the cover, you need to buy one. The dealer might give you the cover with the dealer's name (and phone, address) on it but, I don't think you want that on your JK! Even though I'm pretty happy with my dealer, I don't want to advertise them... for free.

Personally, I like without the tire cover.

The spare tire is full-size... same as the other 4 tires. So, if you want, you can rotate 5 tires instead of 4.

Tire covers:

allthingsjeep.com/tire-covers.html

justforjeeps.com/jewrsptico.html

Last edited by Robar; 07-20-2007 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Edited non sponsor link.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

If I was keeping all of the stock sahara tires and wheels than I would definitely not put a cover on the rear but here's the debate going on in my head. My driving is pretty much set where almost of the year I live in a resort town in Mexico where it's 100% city driving and then 1-2 times per year we drive back to Arizona/California to visit friends and family. My original thoughts were to buy a set of 4 custom wheels with 35's on them and use those around town and then those 1-2 highway trips back to the States to put the stock tires/wheels back on for better highway performance.

Having the 32" spare on (with a tire cover so it wasn't so obvious it didn't match the other 4) seems like a better option to me than having to switch out all 5 tires. This will mainly be a dd plus a lot of driving on the beach so I don't anticipate getting a flat with the 35's on in a situation where I really need a 35" spare.

I suppose if I could sell my stock set of tires/wheels for a decent price I would consider buying 5 35's and keeping them on all the time but that would require a definite regear plus the brutal mileage on those road trips.

What are your guys thoughts? Keep in mind that there is no mix of highway/city except those few weeks a year we head back to the States so it's not like I'm thinking of switching the tires out very often.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red7
If I was keeping all of the stock sahara tires and wheels than I would definitely not put a cover on the rear but here's the debate going on in my head. My driving is pretty much set where almost of the year I live in a resort town in Mexico where it's 100% city driving and then 1-2 times per year we drive back to Arizona/California to visit friends and family. My original thoughts were to buy a set of 4 custom wheels with 35's on them and use those around town and then those 1-2 highway trips back to the States to put the stock tires/wheels back on for better highway performance.

Having the 32" spare on (with a tire cover so it wasn't so obvious it didn't match the other 4) seems like a better option to me than having to switch out all 5 tires. This will mainly be a dd plus a lot of driving on the beach so I don't anticipate getting a flat with the 35's on in a situation where I really need a 35" spare.

I suppose if I could sell my stock set of tires/wheels for a decent price I would consider buying 5 35's and keeping them on all the time but that would require a definite regear plus the brutal mileage on those road trips.

What are your guys thoughts? Keep in mind that there is no mix of highway/city except those few weeks a year we head back to the States so it's not like I'm thinking of switching the tires out very often.
I think that it is a bad idea to not have a spare that matches the other tires. If you can not afford to buy a spare that matches the other 4 then do not buy anything.

If the tire does not match then it is just a tire and not a spare.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Omega Man
I think that it is a bad idea to not have a spare that matches the other tires. If you can not afford to buy a spare that matches the other 4 then do not buy anything.

If the tire does not match then it is just a tire and not a spare.
Well, money is definitely not an issue for me ! I totally understand what you are saying though for serious offroading and having a matching spares. I'm considering running two different sets of tires and since all of my driving will be on the city streets or on the sand I figured in the very rare event of a flat, it would be easier to just switch out 4 tires and in the event of flat I could certainly get by with 1 tire being 1.5 inches smaller as opposed to having a 35" spare on when I'm running my 32's.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red7
Well, money is definitely not an issue for me !
Then get all 5 wheels and tires. I think covers look like crap.

Quick Reply: Full size spare tire/wheel on '08 saharas?