Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Front Drive Shaft

Old 08-13-2011, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Drive Shaft

Guys i need help on what to do my front drive shaft is about to hit the dust on my jk. Where should
i look for new ones at ? What are good brands? i need advice on what to do .
Thanks
Old 08-13-2011, 12:51 PM
JK Freak

Tom Woods and Coast seem to be the shit for most hardcore wheelers. I know Rugged Ridge and Teraflex make some as well but havent seen many running them.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

if you are looking to replace the front driveshaft I have coast a coast 1310 and so far i have been very happy with it. you can get one from northridge4x4.com
Old 08-13-2011, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

I tried the north ridge place twice today and no one answered me. Also is it better to go ahead and get a better after market dshaft or maybe get another stock one I've got 4in lift
Old 08-13-2011, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chattownjk3
I tried the north ridge place twice today and no one answered me. Also is it better to go ahead and get a better after market dshaft or maybe get another stock one I've got 4in lift
Aftermarket ones are going to be stronger especially with that 4" lift over time. I'd highly recommend getting a stronger one with that much lift. I'm getting Coast front/rear here shortly with my 2.5" lift
Old 08-13-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

with a 4'' lift you definately need aftermarket or you'll be in the same boat again in a little while.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Ok well since my front is out now and I will now more than likely go the aftermarket route form listen to you guys , tho since I still have stock rear dshaft will this cause any problems ?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok well since my front is out now and I will now more than likely go the aftermarket route form listen to you guys , tho since I still have stock rear dshaft will this cause any problems ?
I'm running a stock rear and a Tom woods front...GREAT shaft, VERY heavy built but much more compact than stock. Also they have the best customer service I've ever dealt with. Would definitely recommend them.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The aftermarket double cardans aren't necessarily stronger, but they are thinner (which is a huge plus for the auto guys), and the joints on them are much better suited to the steeper angles created by lifting.

There are a lot of popular brands, (Woods, Coast, JE Reel, Tatton, etc. Some of the lift mfg's sell their own. And your local drivetrain shops may custom make them also), and there shouldn't be much of a difference in the shafts themselves.

Many people prefer Spicer joints on the ends, but I haven't had any issues with the gold seals on my Woods shaft. One thing to look at is the lubrication. Are you willing to maintain joints with zerk fittings? Or would you prefer joints that are sealed and need to be replaced every x-number of miles?

Also pay attention to how they mount. Adapter plates probably aren't the best option, so look into swapping the stock flanges for new yokes.

You might also spend some time on Tom Woods website. There is some info on the angles needed for stock shafts vs the angles needed for double cardans.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys i need help on what to do my front drive shaft is about to hit the dust on my jk. Where should
i look for new ones at ? What are good brands? i need advice on what to do .
Thanks
Get a coast and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Front Drive Shaft