Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Front doors off?

Old 07-06-2009, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not... I rock it with only front doors off all the time. limited space and my dog can ride in the back. although he likes my seat best

Old 07-06-2009, 12:45 PM
db1
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 6 year old, and a 4 year old. This is the way we ride around all the time. It's much safer this way. I know they would love to ride with the doors off, be we spend too much time on the highway.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think it looks fine. But, I guess I still don't get it. Maybe b/c I dont have my own kids yet. But, even @ 3 I knew that jumping from a moving vehicle would get me killed and would be a stupid/suicidal thing to do. They have seat belts on, they wont go spilling out and it's not like we are fishtailing Lambo's with no doors here. Idunno, times a changin never seemed to cross my dad's mind.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:06 PM
JK Freak

You guys don't know my ex... She'd make it federal.

I'm not concerned with them jumping out, more road debris kicking up, an accident, rain...those kind of things.

My girls are 9 & 5, they are the most important little people in my life and their safety is my main concern. I wish I had at least half steel doors, but like I said, I've driven front only off before. Any of you that work in a firehouse know that the ball breaking is non-stop, so I got mine broke last summer!
Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paramaniac
You guys don't know my ex... She'd make it federal.

I'm not concerned with them jumping out, more road debris kicking up, an accident, rain...those kind of things.

My girls are 9 & 5, they are the most important little people in my life and their safety is my main concern. I wish I had at least half steel doors, but like I said, I've driven front only off before. Any of you that work in a firehouse know that the ball breaking is non-stop, so I got mine broke last summer!
my guess is that you don't have the kids all of the time so...throw them on when you have them and bolt some ladder hangers to the walls of the garage and store them there when you dont.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Junkie

I leave the rears on for the same reason...2 kids in the back. And if it were up to the wife the front passenger door would be on too ...she's not a fan of doors off driving . That being said my front doors have been off for the last 2 weeks and will stay off for awhile !!!

Here's a little play time in the back yard ...
Old 07-06-2009, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree man... who cares what it looks like... and tell the guys at work at least you can take your doors off assuming they dont have jeeps too. The kids saftey is the important part.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

i know this topic comes up a lot - and i struggle with the same issue - want to take all the doors off but worry about the kids... just curious, do you all feel that having tube doors offers enough? Does it meet the mark for safety with the kids in the back? I haven't gotten any because the thought of putting down the money hurts but if it means getting the doors off and having the kids in safely it might be worth getting rear doors only....
Old 07-06-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Same problem here - have a 2 1/2 year old and wife wont let me take the doors off the back. I really don't worry about it, to me it still looks great.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those rear doors are like paper thin... not sure what type of protection they'd offer that the seat belts don't already offer... so it must be a psychological reason.

I get that from everyone here though... they ask what would happen if I got t-boned... I tell them I would be just as good with doors on, but not have any glass spraying all over me.

Think about it.

Quick Reply: Front doors off?