Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Freedom top question?opinion...

Old 11-15-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freedom top question?opinion...

When I got my JK, I got the dual tops thinking that I would put the soft top most of the time and only use the hard top for cold winter days (not too many of those in south Cal.) or when I go to ski... However I am really loving the freedom top, the front panels are really easy to take on and of, they fit perfectly in the back (I have a 2dr), I find them extremely versatile. The only thing I don't like is the 2 nobs that screw in and out, so much so that I am thinking to stop using them altogether, it seems that the latches are enough.

Any negatives in not putting them on that you guys can think of ? Do they have a special purpose?
Old 11-15-2008, 07:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by somewhereinla
When I got my JK, I got the dual tops thinking that I would put the soft top most of the time and only use the hard top for cold winter days (not too many of those in south Cal.) or when I go to ski... However I am really loving the freedom top, the front panels are really easy to take on and of, they fit perfectly in the back (I have a 2dr), I find them extremely versatile. The only thing I don't like is the 2 nobs that screw in and out, so much so that I am thinking to stop using them altogether, it seems that the latches are enough.

Any negatives in not putting them on that you guys can think of ? Do they have a special purpose?
Yea, the panels get really freaking noisy!
Old 11-15-2008, 08:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on the noisy. I had the panels off whenever it topped 50 or so this past spring. Put 'em back on with just the latches a couple times. Lot noiser without them. Not insecure sounding, just noisier.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like the others said, noise is the main concern.

I'll sometimes leave the screws out of mine if I'm parking it at the end of the day but I know I'll be taking the panels off again in the morning, but I usually screw them back if I'm driving around with the panels on.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know what they are talking about. I leave the screws out of mine all summer long. I just put mine back in for winter this week. My hardtop only creaks when it gets really cold. Less than 32 deg. F. That's really the only reason I put them in for winter. Mine is a Nov 31, 2006 build and this will be my third winter with it if you count getting it Dec 29 06 as winter one.

My top has also NEVER leaked.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have an unlimited and leave the screw knobs out most of the time, even in the rain and have not had a problem with noise or leaks.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't use mine and I don't hear any more noise

Don't know what they are talking about
Old 11-16-2008, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Thanks guys, I guess I'll try it and see if the noise is a problem.
I do have one comment about the water leaks, Since I do take the panels off quite a bit I noticed that the seal get very dusty very quickly and wonder if the leaks that some people have reported is not due to the poor seal that dust will cause. The reason I say that is that I am an avid scuba diver and and know for a fact that even a tiny dust particle stuck on a rubber O ring will usually create a leak.
I personally clean up the seal with a sponge and water almost every time I put the panels back on.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've left the screws in mine a little loose by accident and it made all kinda noise. I can only imagine what leaving them out would do. My top doesn't make any noise as long as everything is tight. I've not had it leak once yet, either. I would leave the screws in. Just my
Old 11-16-2008, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I've left the screws in mine a little loose by accident and it made all kinda noise. I can only imagine what leaving them out would do. My top doesn't make any noise as long as everything is tight. I've not had it leak once yet, either. I would leave the screws in. Just my
Its much louder with them loose then with them out. One morning last winter on my way to work the top was rattling really loud. I was wondering if it was the ice still on the roof. I reached back to tap on the roof and knock the ice off. Before I got on the highway and felt the loose nob. I tightened it back in and all was quiet.

Like I said before mine are out all summer after the first time I take the tops off. Until it time for the snow to fly and I won't be taking the panels off until spring again. Mine is an early build. Nov of 06 when leaks were really rampant and mine has never leaked. I have just over 42k miles on mine and the tops have been off more times than I could possibly count.

Quick Reply: Freedom top question?opinion...