Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Folding the top?

Old 01-29-2016, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both tops and run the hardtop during cold months and the soft top during warm months. My hardtop is on for about 3 or 4 months a year. The soft top has not been a big hassle to deal with. I run with it in the sunrider position more than I do with it folded all the way down. To me the biggest pain about folding the top all the way down is having to keep up with the windows. I'm thinking about buying something to put the windows in so I can keep them in the Jeep and not get all scratched up. Anyone have any suggestions? I've seen several different types of storage for the windows.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
In Carolina a lot of people drive topless and with their top in the sunrider position. 90% of the time the top folded back in the sunrider position isn't folded back properly and they are catching air going down the road. It drives me crazy!! lol Often times at gas stations I show them how to fold the top back so that it lays flat and doesn't catch wind. I'm 6' 4" so raising and lowering the top takes no time. The most time spent is installing the side and rear windows.

Anyways, I'm hard top in the winter and Exo-Top in the summer.

Scooby, I did the very same thing first time I tried to put my soft top in the sunrider position. That should be a self correcting problem. It was for me. After driving a couple miles I knew that something wasn't right. I wanted to hurry up and get home and fix it before anybody noticed it. A lot different from the old CJ7 I had many years ago. A quick look at a great Youtube video and I found out what I did wrong. Youtube has helped me a ton.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014Wrangler
To me the biggest pain about folding the top all the way down is having to keep up with the windows. I'm thinking about buying something to put the windows in so I can keep them in the Jeep and not get all scratched up. Anyone have any suggestions? I've seen several different types of storage for the windows.
Yeah I agree.

FWIW I have one of these: Timber Creek® Large Stuff Bag | Academy

And I bought a yard or two of gray felt and cut it into three pieces to fit between the windows. I roll them up with the felt between each one and put them in the bag. Works great. But I still get scratches even though my Jeep is only like 4 months old and I religiously clean them with glass cleaner (which I carry in the Jeep!) before stowing them.

Anyway, it's just a gigantic pain. I still think glass windows would be way better.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

I've never really liked the sundrider bit since it came with a bulky top with annoying hardware.

My setup is mostly an on/off thing unless its winter or the lazy period where the hard top hasn't come off yet.

Winter months/lazy spring - hard top with front panels off. Even in winter I'll typically take the panels off, front window down, and heat blasted. Its very weird but comfortable
Click image for larger version

Name:	9V4SPeu.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	653.1 KB
ID:	679336

Soft top - Trektop (non NX) - when in the city or when the rain just wont let up

Name:	yyvUlX8.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	679337

And then the staple offroad - top rolled up in the back against the tailgate under the tonneau cover.

Name:	v9PethE.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	679338

Bonus: too lazy to put the top back up in the rain as it kinda looks like it will blow over soon and suck it up with a rain jacket but toss a tarp on when stopping for more then 5 min

Name:	5s2q4qA.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	679339
Old 01-29-2016, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Colorado, I never have my top off and honestly need to change that. My last Jeep almost never had a top or doors on it, just a bikini top, I was lucky and had a nice truck and a garage to put it in for safe keeping.

After divorce I am just to one vehicle for the time being. I travel for work every week and my Jeep is at the airport all the time so taking the top off and on has me thinking I need to get a garage mounted roof system so I can do this over the weekend by myself!

They are so much more fun with the top and doors off!

Quick Reply: Folding the top?