Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Would you buy a folding hard top, where the front half folds back on the rear half?
Yes
54.00%
No
46.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Folding Hard Top

Old 12-10-2007, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkinva
If those foldable tops are not removable as well, then you have that extra weight when you want to take the whole top off. The top as it is now is not heavy, just bulky. With that added weight, it would be too difficult to balance it as you removed it.
Agreed. Thats why I think hinges similar to those on jeep doors would work. Unscrew a torx head bolt on each hinge and remove the front section and then the back.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tin
lets not give them any ideas until they figure out how to properly design the first hard top so it doesn't leak, one thing at a time .
I thought leaky tops were an integral part of the whole Jeep nostalgia!
Old 12-11-2007, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm a soft top guy. Once I move back to the frozen tundra that is Maryland (compared to Florida) sometime in the future, I MAY consider a hardtop. But I'm eager to test the heater with just the soft top on.

You know where this "folding hardtop" stuff is going don't you? Someone will certainly request that it be motorized! Cats and dogs sleeping together! Leather and motorized mirrors! When will it end? Can electric disconnecting swaybars be far behind? Uh, nevermind....
Old 12-11-2007, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea. Especially if you could still completely remove them if wanted.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:55 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Havent received my Jeep yet, so please pardon my noob-ness.

Will the two front pieces fit within the rear of the vehicle? I'm sure they'd fit behind the front seats but since I have children, I wouldnt want to have it resting on their knees
Old 12-11-2007, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bkw

Will the two front pieces fit within the rear of the vehicle? I'm sure they'd fit behind the front seats but since I have children, I wouldnt want to have it resting on their knees
4-door or 2-door? I can't say for sure on the 2-door, but the easily fit in the back on the 4-door.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bkw

They will fit behind the seat of a 2dr, but you won't be able to haul anything else back there with them. I just got me a hitch haul and cover for when I want to haul stuff.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

I thought this already exists...please mistake me if I am wrong...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11090_401.htm
Old 12-11-2007, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by davidwm71
I'd like a different three piece for the unlimited. One over the front seats, one over the rear seats, then the rest of the top.

It would make it easier to lift and you could use the two front sections together as a bikini top over all the passengers.
now that's a great idea... and you're right, you could probably handle the pieces by yourself and store them more compactly
Old 12-11-2007, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Newtybar
I thought this already exists...please mistake me if I am wrong...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11090_401.htm
No hinges on it...its just a 2 piece top as opposed to the 3 piece stock hard top.

Quick Reply: Folding Hard Top