Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Fold-down Windshield...

Old 05-18-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fold-down Windshield...

Just wondering...

Has the fold-down feature of the windshield lost its usefulness since the incorporation of the roll bars?

I always assumed (I really have no idea) that the windshield folded down to reduce the vertical profile of the vehicle thereby allowing it to move under an obstacle it otherwise could not (like a downed tree or other barrier). And also for transporting them stacked on rail cars (I tried to attach a photo).

Am I completely wrong...?
Old 05-18-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two good points. I have read that taking the the windshield down is a huge pain in the ass though. I don't know why you would really want or need to have it down anyways though.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sniper41
Jiblet, no offense but with your track record with the door, I'd leave the w/s in place buddy!!

I was expecting to take some crap for the door hinge post...
But I didn't think it would follow me around!!

the windshield staying exactly where it is.......
Old 05-18-2009, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: Fold-down Windshield...

Originally Posted by Jiblet
Just wondering...

Has the fold-down feature of the windshield lost its usefulness since the incorporation of the roll bars?

I always assumed (I really have no idea) that the windshield folded down to reduce the vertical profile of the vehicle thereby allowing it to move under an obstacle it otherwise could not (like a downed tree or other barrier). And also for transporting them stacked on rail cars (I tried to attach a photo).

Am I completely wrong...?
Try doing a search on the topic.

I downloaded a video of someone going through the whole process but uncertain where I got it from.

Having watched the video, I've decided my windshield will stay in the "full upright" position!
Old 05-18-2009, 04:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Those are some legitimate points Jiblet. At think at this point in time the ability to fold the windshield down 'easily' is just a classic feature from the first Jeeps that were added for novelty.

As far as folding the windshield down on my JK I haven't done it yet, I think it looks kinda silly since they made the new windsheild concave.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Jedi

Driving offroad with the windshield down is waaaaaaaay cool....used to do it all the time in my CJ5 and an old willys.....so easy to do. I don't feel it's lost it's usefulness, because by having it down you may miss a branch that could potentially put too much pressure on the glass, or scratch the metal around the windshield, and then it could just glance off the rollbar with no problem. Having said that tho, as much as I'd like to, I haven't tried it yet with the JK. After reading about it in the manual, and then just hearing here how much of a PIA it is to do because of the far too many screws, I said forget it. I may get the gumption some day, but for now it stays put. It would probably be fun to do say, if you were going camping or something where you would be out in the woods and have it down for a week or so.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah I agree I'd love to do it but for now the windshield stays put. Im perfectly content with the doors and top off.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Jedi Master

I wish that train would derail in my yard.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

i put it down on my tj one time and drove down to wally world with it down. A very fun experience despite the bugs to the face. I guess thats all its for now a days (for fun) because it was a pain to do and it actually took away from my over the hood visibility.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KY.
Yeah I agree I'd love to do it but for now the windshield stays put. Im perfectly content with the doors and top off.
X2

Quick Reply: Fold-down Windshield...