Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

floor jack & jack stands

Old 10-22-2011, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default floor jack & jack stands

What's a good weight rating for a hydraulic jack and jack stands for a 2012 JKU Sahara? Three tons?

How about the lifting range for the jack (35" tires, 3" lift) and the supporting range for the jack stands?

Who makes good jacks and stands? I'm much more concerned with quality than cost.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:13 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a 3.5ton floor jack from Costco that is as good as they come, it has about a 22" lift height on it's own. My jeep sits on 40"s and I have never max'd it out when raising it. My jack stands are 3ton models, I have had them so long I don't know off hand who makes them, but they are over 24" tall at their max height.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kwolf
What's a good weight rating for a hydraulic jack and jack stands for a 2012 JKU Sahara? Three tons?

How about the lifting range for the jack (35" tires, 3" lift) and the supporting range for the jack stands?

Who makes good jacks and stands? I'm much more concerned with quality than cost.
I'm in your boat same set up.... So good question cause I've been looking too.

Is the Jack that comes with our JK's TOO SMALL? Or are you just looking for a better one??

And are Jack stands recommended when using a Jack for a safety backup ??? Thx
Old 10-22-2011, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
I'm in your boat same set up.... So good question cause I've been looking too.

Is the Jack that comes with our JK's TOO SMALL? Or are you just looking for a better one??

And are Jack stands recommended when using a Jack for a safety backup ??? Thx
never use your factory jack for doing maintnance, it's made only for tire changing on the highway. NEVER get under your vehicle when using this jack. It's not too small for changing a quick tire, but THATS ALL. Jackstands are the cheapest safety equipment you will ever own. Harbor Freight sells a cheap fairly decent quality set of 3 tonners. Don't buy aluminum ones. A 3 or 3.5 ton rated jack will do anything a home garage will ever need. These are available most anywhere for $69.00 to $279.00. Blackhawk is an excellent brand and quality, or Craftsman or Harbor Freight for a little lower level.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Craftsman jack stands are good, do not buy a craftsman jack. That's the one tool craftsman makes that i consider terrible. The main problem - there is no way to slowly let it down with load on it. You can turn the handle a mm at a time, and it goes from holding to a very fast drop. Maybe not as big of a deal for a jeep, but forget about using it on anything low.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

K thanks you guys..... Lucky day for me a set of stands and Jack all 3 ton on sale today save $30 and get a $10 gas card.....
Here in Canada....
Old 10-22-2011, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
never use your factory jack for doing maintnance, it's made only for tire changing on the highway. NEVER get under your vehicle when using this jack. It's not too small for changing a quick tire, but THATS ALL. Jackstands are the cheapest safety equipment you will ever own. Harbor Freight sells a cheap fairly decent quality set of 3 tonners. Don't buy aluminum ones. A 3 or 3.5 ton rated jack will do anything a home garage will ever need. These are available most anywhere for $69.00 to $279.00. Blackhawk is an excellent brand and quality, or Craftsman or Harbor Freight for a little lower level.
Originally Posted by ormandj
Craftsman jack stands are good, do not buy a craftsman jack. That's the one tool craftsman makes that i consider terrible. The main problem - there is no way to slowly let it down with load on it. You can turn the handle a mm at a time, and it goes from holding to a very fast drop. Maybe not as big of a deal for a jeep, but forget about using it on anything low.
I agree with both these guys. The market has consolidated to the point there are fewer manufactures - and beware of cheap stuff coming from China. At one time, the iconic brand in automotive lifts was Walker. Walker sold the product line to Lincoln and due to industry consolidation the original Walker is now manufactered and branded as Hein-Werner... these are still made in the USA.

The original Walker was an excellent hydralic jack.. I've owned one since 1974 and was the best jack money could buy when I worked in a service station during the 70s. Working on stuff at home, after you lift your vehicle and secure on jack stands, the Walker jack allowed you to lift and position heavy components while under the vehicle, and with a slight pump or twist of the handle, I could easily position a transmission onto the bell housing and assure alignment - you can't do that with a hydralic jack where you need to twist a nob at the end of the handle to lower the jack. Think about that for a moment.

Be selective and think of all the possibilities.. safety come first. If I was buying a new one, it would probably be a Hein-Werner. If I was buying used, I buy and old Walker and have it restored.

Here's some resources.

http://w ww.shinnfuamerica.com/Products/

http://w ww.garagejournal.com/forum/

Last edited by m998dna; 10-22-2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Please do not post clickable non-sponsor links
Old 10-22-2011, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 4 ton jack and stands they are crafstman pro series. I got the 4 ton due to the extra lift rage for the jeep. I know it might be overkill but my 3 ton was bottoming out.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ormandj
AGREED! their jacks are junk! I have had mine for 8 years and hate it everytime I use it. One day I will get smart and buy a new one. I've used a few from Harbor Freight that rocked! I have had a new 3 ton jackstand break from Sears. Not sure if the casting was bad or what. Lucky I have a tough bumper!!

Quick Reply: floor jack & jack stands