Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Flapping in the wind?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flapping in the wind?

I put my top back up last night thanks to the rain, today on my way home from work, I had all 4 windows open but the soft top windows still zipped on, and I happen to look in my side mirror and see the soft top side window flapping away like it's coming loose! :( It looks like the little L shaped plastic part that goes inside the rear door isn't staying.. or the door isn't holding it in securely. The other side is just fine though.

Anyone have any ideas for how to fix it maybe? or should I just drive right to the dealership and make them do something?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Junkie

Sounds like the side windows were not in all the way to begin with and the air pressure of the front windows open, but back all closed up, caused them to come loose. Also, with certain configurations, the side and rear windows will flap, but should not come out.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, it's a 4 door, I had all 4 front and back windows open, but the soft top windows are on. What's happening is on the driver's side, the top velcro is losing it's grip I guess from the wind & air pressure back there, and about 3 inches back or so falls out of the top part. The zipper is in place where it should be and that's holding the window on, but the top corner keeps coming off. Seems ok but still a little loose when the windows are all closed. So when the rain stops I'll go out and see if I can take the window off and put it back on.

I think to be safe I'll hit home depot and get some velcro strips and stick it down the side, that should give it plenty of extra gripping power. I can prolly cut it thin and stick it on the inside of the door and the back side of the plastic L thingy. It will be my very first mod!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you folding the forward edge of the rear side windows into the rear door's surround / channel? The read door does not hold the window in place. The hard plastic edge is L shaped, and half of it goes into the door surround channel. The easiest way to make it fit, is to unzip the side windows half way, and then pull the soft window forward with your hands near at that L shaped edge. I had the same problem with my side windows.

-Ted
Old 05-27-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ah! Thanks that must be the problem.. I'm such a newbie

I have the L shaped part going inside the door between the door and the door frame. Anyway it's sealed up good enough for now so in the AM when I can see I'll go do it right

But then, I have the other side attached the same way.. guess just this one window is wimpier.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 PM
JK Freak

Check the pics on this link, if you can see any stitching with the door shut then its not on right.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/soft-top-rear-window-door-frame-surround-area-installation-_lots-pictures-12544/
Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the pics I got the window attached right now. I even read the manual when I put em on the first time but it didn't really show that you had to tuck the front part in like that so I musta missed that. It was kinda hard to get it to stay in and get the bottom attached too.. guess after I do it a bunch of times it'll stretch a bit and be easier after a while.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

I always start with the zipper, zip it about half way across the top then tuck in the "L" channel on the side, then tuck in the bottom plastic from the door back then finnish the zipper the rest of the way down. Works out pretty good for me that way.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by necros
I put my top back up last night thanks to the rain, today on my way home from work, I had all 4 windows open but the soft top windows still zipped on, and I happen to look in my side mirror and see the soft top side window flapping away like it's coming loose! :( It looks like the little L shaped plastic part that goes inside the rear door isn't staying.. or the door isn't holding it in securely. The other side is just fine though.

Anyone have any ideas for how to fix it maybe? or should I just drive right to the dealership and make them do something?
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! same window and all! sometimes when i put the window back on i have to put in the bottom part closer in the door and pull the flap in the door and then i hold it down with my fingers as close as i can and then shut it fast and hard without catching my fingers. glad not only my jeep does it!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

haha looks like im retarded as well! heheh

Quick Reply: Flapping in the wind?