Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First Upgrade

Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Upgrade

This is definitely a newbie question, so if there is already a thread that covers it, just let me know. I was wondering what the best sequence is for upgrades. Obviously I can't do everything at once because of money, but which one should I start with, i.e suspension lift, bumpers, etc? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you may have already done the first and BIGGEST upgrade.... and thats buying it in the first place!

My suggesstion is the freebies. Remove stickers, air dam, etc...

After that. Take a step back and look at your Jeep. What is the ONE THING that would make you love it more and in your eyes make it look cool? Maybe its a bumper, maybe new wheels, maybe an upgraded stereo. Its up to you! Thats the great thing about these is the infinite possibilities!

Have fun!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As I tell every newbie I meet, RECOVERY GEAR!!

Your Jeep is a very capable vehicle right out of the box and if you don't already have them, get a set of tow hooks front and rear and then follow them up with a tow strap. This alone will allow you to get out there and have a lot of fun and the best part is, they are cheap!!
Old 02-05-2008, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
As I tell every newbie I meet, RECOVERY GEAR!!

Your Jeep is a very capable vehicle right out of the box and if you don't already have them, get a set of tow hooks front and rear and then follow them up with a tow strap. This alone will allow you to get out there and have a lot of fun and the best part is, they are cheap!!
x2. Help your fellow wheeling buddies help you.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the stickers off the visors!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

It all depends on what you want it to do for you. Cruiser? Maybe tunes, mirror brackets and bikini top.

Mild trails? Recovery gear and maybe some body armor. The Jeep is very capable from the showroom, however the AT tires they have stock can be sketchy. Get some with some grip and sidewall strength..

Anything above and beyond you'll need tires, clearance (lift), lockers (probably one of the first things if you plan on wheeling).

Set a budget, don't jump into anything right away and plan out your build. Also, check out the Write Up and Show and Tell areas to get ideas.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

X3 what Wayoflife said... TRUST ME the first time you get stuck without tow hooks and you have to go crawling through the mud to find somewhere to hook a chain to your frame that ends up bending your bumper...... you will think "hey 40 bucks from some guy off the forum aint to bad for some tow hooks..."

obviously that happened to me... now i have .... tow hooks front and rear. 8K winch, tree saver strap, huge D shackle, and a chain. not gonna happen again
Old 02-05-2008, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you plan on going off-road much, a nice cheap thing to buy are tire deflators. They allow you to air-down all four tires to a pre-set psi for much better traction. About $35-50 a set. Then buy a decent mini air compressor that can handle four large tires without have to cool down, also about $50. These have no appearance value at all, but will greatly increase your trail enjoyment.

You may also want to consider a decent CB so you can stay in touch with the rest of your group (when they need you and your new tow strap).
Old 02-05-2008, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks. Thats great advice that I hadn't thoughht of yet...
Old 02-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RubiconOrdie
x2. Help your fellow wheeling buddies help you.
x4 on the recovery gear.

Quick Reply: First Upgrade